Practice In The Cambs Area?

grahamjayzee

Right in that case you'll need to know about Jeff Hibbs' place at Santon Downham near Thetford. He's one of our Centre Experts and he's developed some land over there where there are several trials over the year, both ACU and AMCA. Again I can let you know when they're on. My club, Norwich Vikings, have got a Novice/Wobbler round there on the 22nd March, for example.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right in that case you'll need to know about Jeff Hibbs' place at Santon Downham near Thetford. He's one of our Centre Experts and he's developed some land over there where there are several trials over the year, both ACU and AMCA. Again I can let you know when they're on. My club, Norwich Vikings, have got a Novice/Wobbler round there on the 22nd March, for example.

That may be useful as I have dragged another mate into the sport who found the Cambridge Matchless trial on21st December a bit, er, 'sporting'! Is this where the Dabbers run their trials?

Nice one Wherry

Graham

Yep the Dabbers had one there at the end of Feb. 2008. That was the 1st trial I did after my 20yr 'sabbatical'.......... Just right for beginners or 'New Starters'. I'm not sure if it's happening this year though - I can't see any 2009 dates on their website.

I think they had one there on 4th January, but yes, information is sparse to say the least!

I'll have a chat with Skov about this one, but it does clash with a Peterborough trial. I may wait and see what the weather does in the time running up to it as Stibbington can be challenging if it's muddy!

Dont think there is ANYWHERE in Milton Keynes since they lost the ground years back.

I believe Buzzards secured new ground but that was about 3 years ago and nothing happened..... :thumbup:

Grim, isn't it? There are a lot more options for noisy, anti-social crossers than there are for us trialies. I think the problem is that we tend to hang around in one area as where the enduro/ trail geezers are through and off, and the crossers make a lot of noise and then break limbs/ their bikes after half an hour! We are there for longer and are slow moving so easy prey for the nay-sayers!

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm wondering if anything has changed in the few years since the original post regarding practice facilities in Cambs?

I was a member of CMMC many many years ago when my dad bought me a converted Honda TL125 to wobble around on in my teens. Only did a couple of trials back then before losing interest because I was always relying on other people to get me to and from trials and had nowhere to practice which meant I wasn't improving as fast as I would have liked.

Now I'm in my mid 40's with my own transport and enough disposable income to by myself something a little more modern. What I don't want to do is spend a decent amount of cash on a bike which will only see dirt every couple of months in a club trial. I already have two very expensive mountain bikes hanging on my garage wall as a testament to my impulse buys so don't want to make the same mistake again ;)

Practising at home is out of the question so is there anywhere in the area where I can practise or any 'cheeky trails' around the Cambridge area where I could roll up once or twice a week to ride?

Lastly, any bike recommendations?

I've been lurking a while and I know about Cambs Trial Centre so will probably pay a visit there if I decide to go ahead and buy something.

For a bike I had shortlisted GG 250, Skorpa 250, Sherco 290, Mont 4RT (pricey) or Beta Rev3/4 although I have to admit reading some of the issues in the Beta forum has put me off regarding clutch issues, unable to start when warm etc. I'd need something reliable until I'd learned to do a few basic jobs or hooked up with someone that could help out with mechanical issues as my mechanical skills currently are zero!

What are the different characteristics of each of the models mentioned. I don't mind buying something I can grow into rather than having to buy again after a short while once my ability improved.

Edited by Ridgy