Gas Gas 4t ?

hop blip and a jump

I haven't heard much about the new 4 stroke gas gas trials bike???

i thought they were supposed to be out for 09??

I spoke with the U.S. importer this weekend at a Trials event and he will be going back to Spain to ride the new prototypes soon and we should get one here possibly early next year. He's going to call me when it comes in so I can get an early ride and do an in-depth tech article for Trials Competition News. I know they are doing long-term engine reliability testing and final adjustments to the details of the design in Spain. Apparently my guess was right that the engine mounts are the same as the two-stroke, so same frame, with the choice of engines, which really simplifies things. I saw and rode several 08' Ragas at the event this weekend and that new frame is really neat. Everything is really easy to get at, as the frame design is really open.

Shercos 4Ts are starting to show up here in the Mid-West now as are the Betas (my friend has a 300 kit in his) and we have a good crop of Montesas in riders hands and they all are fine machines. We're pretty lucky to have so many to choose from, considering Trials is a relatively low-profile sport.

Jon

I find the naming conventions used on several of the bikes rather amusing. I wonder what the actual displacement the 350 will be. Why not call a 342 a 342? (sounds better anyway IMO)

Most factories have a "Handgrenade theory" in naming bike displacement, where being close is acceptable....:D

My 280 Pro is 272cc's, my TY350N Yamaha is 349cc's and my old 96' JTR370 was 338cc's, in spite of the cylinder having "370cc" cast into it. My guess is that the testing prototype cylinder was at 370cc's and was a little too much output, so it was reduced to 338cc's but the cylinder casting was kept. The "Engineer's Rule" of rounding numbers for convenience appears to be in effect in the marketing departments.

Jon