Frame Upgrade

toofasttim

Anybody know of anyone who's upgraded their fram from a pre-09 pro to an 09 pro frame?

I have a sweet '06 Raga and I'd like to upgrade it but want to know if there are any pitfalls.

Pitfalls? Will it make you a better rider? Save the dosh for the newer more spindly one! :D

Why would you spend X dosh if you only need to spend X/2? It's that sort of thing I'm trying to find out. Its also not a good time to sell a bike.

But if Xengine and ancilliaries won't fit X09 frame then you could be in Yserious bother. While X/2 might seem like a saving but if it turns into 2X + Z once you've messed about to get it sorted you'll be kicking yourself. Save up for a new one mate, I'll will certify that Bigfoot's is lovely and I generally don't like gassers.

Yopu're right it's not a good time to sell but there will be dealers throwing new ones away at you

Edited by Slapshot 3

But if Xengine and ancilliaries won't fit X09 frame then you could be in Yserious bother. While X/2 might seem like a saving but if it turns into 2X + Z once you've messed about to get it sorted you'll be kicking yourself.

:D

Edited by TooFastTim

I reckon the only thing you'd have a problem with Tim, is the tank. The larger, plastic Scottish tank that fitted my 04 and 07 bikes won't fit my 08 Raga. That said, an aluminium tank could perhaps be made to fit if beaten in the right places :D Only downside for me of the new frame is a slightly reduced steering lock but I don't suppose riders with a more modern riding style will notice that!

but I don't suppose riders with a more modern riding style will notice that!

That's me!

I don't mind pitching in for new tank, graphics and mudguards, but silly things differ between the models, the first exhaust boxes mounting is different, the brake pedal. It's the little things like that that have me worried.

Donald, it's not a new thing. I've seen a few pics of the boards resident magpie on a sherpa of distinctly mixed pedigree. John Surtees once said that if you stumble across a Manx Norton with matching frame and engine numbers it's probably a fake.

Edited by TooFastTim

I'd start with the parts book and get into the detail and compare the part nos, on the exhaust, brake, rad, hoses etc. Its the only way that you could tell for certain what has changed. Looks like the seat/air box is still the same unit.

Have you any ideas on cost of the frame itself?

Strip down process is very easy, I think I pulled my old 250 to bits on one cup of tea. You'd want to take a bit more time getting it back together, when you're sticking the motor back in there's a good chance of chipping some of that nice red paint.

The fuel tank is slightly slimer where it fits in the frame but will fit (vice), mid box bottom and front bracket will have to be moved (altered), get yourself some 08 raga white plastics etc,not sure about ignition if yours is kukosan then no prob but you will need the cdi rubber strap i dont no if the ducati cdi etc will fit every thing else is the same, 4 a grand you have got yourself a cheap 08 raga and change the mag swinging arm cos they are crap