Scottoiler

hoodie2

I wouldn't say useless - bit more of a fiddle than they should be but they do mean there's no need to do anything else. However , not for a trials bike, the thing would get wiped off inside five minutes on rocks and get choked with mud elsewhere.

they are useless on road bikes,best bet pressure wash bike including chain after trial,when dried out oil chain i find gear oil is good,makes a mess on floor put some newspaper down first.

I have a Scottoiler on my very green sports bike, it is extremely good.

You on the other hand are a misinformed idiot!

Gday, I run a Scottoiler on my Tiger. 50 000km on the orig chain - good stuff. what about putting the delivery system just behind the front sprocket? My mate did that with his Multistrada and it seems to work nicely. It would keep the gubbins away from the rocks.

Cheers,

Stork.

I saw a Scorpa at the dirt bike show fitted with two different Scott Oil systems.

One, between the front fork stanchions (behind your competition number plate or front light) connected to the vacuum pump on the inlet manifold. This only worked when the bike was running and could be adjusted to oil the chain automatically.

Two, was a system mounted on the handle bars in the grips. If you squeezed the grip it dumped oil on the chain.

Both where very good.

The man telling me about it made some valid points.

The spray on chain wax is sticky so will retain grit and dirt and this will work its way into the rollers and be like a grinding paste.

With the Scott Oil it will wash out any git and dirt as the chain is constantly lubricated as you ride. If you power wash your bike after use put on a stand run the bike or squeeze the grip and dump fresh oil on the chain job done!

Lets face it who enjoys cleaning chains!

When I was a kid I used to use Duckhams chain lube. I had to heat it up on my mums cooker put the chain in and then let it drip till it set. My mum hated this as I droped it once on the kitchen floor and it smells bad to. My dad gave me a camping gas stove to use in the garage and it fell of the top onto the garage floor. Once it was set it was very hard to remove. I think I used petrol but this made the garage stink as well this then permeated into the house so my mum and dad were not happy.

The 'Scottoiler' was invented many years ago by a Scottish motocross rider called Fraser Scott from Glasgow. He was quite a handy rider on a Cheney BSA Victor, if my memory serves me well.

I don't think it was ever intended to be used on off-road bikes, more to be used for road bikes.

Big John

I've got a Scott oiler on my VFR and it works very well, keeps the chain lubricated just enough.

I remember Lynklyfe, you put the chain in it then boiled it until it was molten, then pulled the chain out on a bit of wire and hung it over the tin until it dried and went solid on the chain.

It was very popular in its day but there isn't a person in the world who used it and didn't spill it at some time or another. Totally impossible to remove.

It made you about as popular as a shark in a swimming pool with the ladies of the house!

I've got a Scott oiler on my VFR and it works very well, keeps the chain lubricated just enough.

I remember Lynklyfe, you put the chain in it then boiled it until it was molten, then pulled the chain out on a bit of wire and hung it over the tin until it dried and went solid on the chain.

It was very popular in its day but there isn't a person in the world who used it and didn't spill it at some time or another. Totally impossible to remove.

It made you about as popular as a shark in a swimming pool with the ladies of the house!

Still use chain wax, which is similar. Even when I boil the chain in the garage the smell gets into the house, really p*ss's my wife off. Reason enough !