Steam Cleaned Carb

gaz

has anyone ever stuck their keihn carb in a steam cleaner? I havent got a compressor at home but do have an industrial steamer at work. I thought it might clean it really well but thought i should double check that it wont damage owt.

:thumbup:

Gday, it shouldnt worry it in the steamer I would think, but why dont you use some Throttle Body/Carb cleaner from an aerosol can? (Available from any automotive parts seller) That stuff is designed for the job. Make sure you remove plastic bits first like the floats etc. and you can stick the little tube up all the small orifices and make sure they are really clean and open. I always take a can in my toolbox for those "moments in the field".

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork.

I don't think it's a good idea. Steam won't damage the metal but the high temp on the plastic bits might be a bad idea. Wouldn't want to think of how the floats might react to hot steam. Best thing to do is get a can of compressed air, the proper screw drivers including the "security" torx driver for removing the center pillar and doing the full disassemble and clean. One thing I've noticed with the Keihin is it's tendency to get a water bubble in the pilot circuit exit holes. The holes are so small the surface tension of the water keeps it from evaporating so a little water is even more of a problem then dirt.

Sorry but there's no substitute for doing it the right way.

Edited by Dan Williams

like the previous replys , you cant beat doing the job properly. i have however been known to put other parts in the dish washer! (dont tell the wife) airboxes come up really well, but crank cases, barrells ect. also turn out well.