Fuel Cans

sam12

Be prepared for hassle though with anything other than the 'normal' 5 litre cans as you'll find that in this ever increasing nanny state we inhabit some filling stations won't let you fill a can which is over 10 litres. If your local stations are ok then you won't have a problem but we've had some real problems just trying to get enough fuel for the enduro bikes to last a race. The most you are allowed to take away in cans is 10 litres, some apply it as though their life depends on it, some either don't know or don't care. They also have cards with pictures of legally acceptable cans on them and the only cans on the card I was shown were the 5 litre red and green plastic petrol cans and the diesel can. They wouldn't accept anything else.

The filling station on the A5 near Shrewsbury at the big roundabout where it meets the A49 is an absolute nightmare. Two over zealous tarts at the helm, utter control freaks who won't allow anything other than the small cans and no way will you fill more than 2 of them, not even if your mates take some to other pumps, they're wise to that. Three or four blokes getting out of a van with three cans each sends them into a flat spin. Flash sight of a big jerry can and they'd have to have counselling for a month. They won't even turn the pumps on unless your can is on the floor (so it is earthed..... 'but it's a plastic can luv...!!') They must have weekly training/refresher health and safety courses... You just have to pull up at a pump on their blind side and make out that it is the car/van you're filling and keep the cans out of sight.

Gone are the days when I was racing a four stroke Yam and I could just open the side door of the van, climb in with the hose and fill the bike up and a jerry can. I'd like to try that at Shrewsbury, just once - although not as much as I'd like to point the hose from number 1 pump at the kiosk and ignite it...

I bought a nice quality clear 10lt plastic can in Halfords, from their camping range I can't remember the price but it was cheaper than a 'petrol' can and loads cheaper than a metal 10lt can. They come with a handy push in spout.

BUT... you need to fit an O Ring into the cap otherwise it will leak like a bugger :)

I've had mine for a 6 months or so, use it a lot and it has been fine.

Easy peasy, cheap as fried potaters :thumbup:

I switched away from my trusty old metal Jerry Cans because I was told that you can end up with condensation inside the can as the temp' alters in your workshop/garage/van and therfore water in your fuel?

Never had any problems with plastic cans. Petol stations thats different, you have to hold it above your head so thay can see it before they will turn the pump on. Never heard of anybody having an actual problem with any sort of can. Wish "they" would turn their attention to things that actually matter.

Had one petrol station employee who wouldn't turn on the pump to let me fill up my road legal enduro bike because it was on a trailer!

They genuinely wanted me to take the bike off the trailer to fill it up!

On the plastice v's metal can discussion. We stopped using metal cans years ago after we sufferd a number of dnf's due to rust in the carbs.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for a UK petrol station to see your risk assessment and method statement before you fill up your 5 litre can. :thumbup:

Here in Dubai, the bloke at the pump fills up your car, petrol can etc with you sat in the car, engine running on your mobile phone, smoking a fag. Oh and its dirt cheap.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for a UK petrol station to see your risk assessment and method statement before you fill up your 5 litre can. :guinness:

Here in Dubai, the bloke at the pump fills up your car, petrol can etc with you sat in the car, engine running on your mobile phone, smoking a fag. Oh and its dirt cheap.

You didn't mention the sun shining as well.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for a UK petrol station to see your risk assessment and method statement before you fill up your 5 litre can. :)

Almost reminds me of Mexico, if you have a nice car, the girls will clean your windscreen with their panties! :guinness: