Fantic 240 Ignition Cover

waltergallons

I took off my engine ignition side cover recently and was horrified to find what was inside. It was as I imagined the engine room of the Titanic would look like. Wet, damp, and lots of white fury corrosion on the aluminium. I took the flywheel off, stripped down the stator plate and cleaned everything up as best I could. The last time I sealed that cover up several months ago, I didn't use a proper gasket, but used silicone. I realised that there's a possibility that water might get in where the ignition wires come out of the back of the engine, so I plopped a load of silicone around there as well.

Most of the trials I've done over the lat few months have been very wet, and I generally power wash after each event.

My question is..... How does everyone else seal up their ignition side?... Do you use the gasket or silicone or both?.....And how often do you open the cover up to have a peep inside?

Thanks.......

• 3 weeks later...

I use a gasket on my 240 with a bit of silicone around the wiring where it goes through the rubber gromet, and it doesnt leak at all.

I know a lot of people use power washers on bikes but I would save it for cleaning the patio, if you clean your bike after each event there wont be anything that would need a power washer to get it off anyway.

I use a gasket on my 240 with a bit of silicone around the wiring where it goes through the rubber gromet, and it doesnt leak at all.

I know a lot of people use power washers on bikes but I would save it for cleaning the patio, if you clean your bike after each event there wont be anything that would need a power washer to get it off anyway.

Area completely, power washers aren't quite as bad as washing your bike in the sea, but a close second.