Whats Wrong With My Clutch?

redneck

"Jon and Cope may both be right."

Biff, don't tell Copey that, I'll never hear the end of it! :D

ps. Biff, it's 23 degrees outside down here in NE OK. now, which I imagine would seem like a heat wave to you guys up there......

Yeah it was 23 here this morning too but it had a minus sign in front of it. :P I had an hour off for lunch and came home today. I left the car running and when i went back out the car was thawed but it thawed just enough to freeze the door seals back to the car door jam. Thats a first for me and I am a life time northerner. Not good. Time to throw some grease on em!

Well i dont know if i can add to much to copes ego. That inferno will burn for years and years. :wub:

Stork955 We knew that you would do the right thing. Knowledge is power!

--Biff

Gday - you need to check if your clutch is a brake fluid type or a hydraulic fluid type. The Hydraulic type has a green cap on the m/cylinder and uses a different fluid, 5 weight fork oil will do if you cant find "clutch fluid". The Black covered m/cyls use normal DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. You will need to rebuild your cylinder if the wrong fluid has been used in it as the cups are made of incompatible materials. Kits to rebuild are cheap and it is best to replace all the parts inside with the new bits anyway. If your m/cyl is leaking (as you say) it needs rebuilding anyway, so do that and then double check that you have a small amount of clearance between the end of the piston and the lever. Your system will not work without this clearance. And for the interested folk still reading at this point, the only difference between the Ford m/cyl picture above and the m/cyls on our bikes is that we dont have the "inlet valve" which is actually a residual pressure valve in the end of the m/cyl. This is only used on Hydraulic Drum brake cars to keep the brake shoes out near the drum so you dont get a low pedal. Apart from that they work in an identical fashion, we have both ports etc and the piston/cups design is the same.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stork.

it is DOT 4, black cover. it seems to be leaking just a bit, its a bit more then damp and there is a small drop of fluid running down underneath the master cylinder.

it seems like a rebuild is my best bet. any one know of any US based places i can get a rebuild for a decent price?

it is DOT 4, black cover. it seems to be leaking just a bit, its a bit more then damp and there is a small drop of fluid running down underneath the master cylinder.

it seems like a rebuild is my best bet. any one know of any US based places i can get a rebuild for a decent price?

The kits are cheap, call your dealer or Rising Sun!