Observers

docktor

I am the first to admit that i have made the comment "come on thats not a5 ". You have to bite your tongue for the good of trials, observers are a rarity , plucked from volunteers in the car park . Some could be first timers ,so if you have a query see the clark of the course.Rant over.

Yes, and lets all be honest; for every five that you get that you think you shouldn't have had, there's one that you didn't get that you should have.

I'm regularly involved in running events and by far the worst job is trying to get observers. I just hate asking people to do it. It's so nice when someone turns up and offers to observe without being asked. The last thing we want is for them to get any kind of abuse for their trouble.

To everyone who observes - thank you.

Providing observers for a trial seems to be a perennial problem.

I have now probably observed at more trials than I have ridden in.

If riders expect people to volunteer (or be press ganged) to observe a section some common courtesy would help in recruiting more willing observers and aid other riders. I offer the following for comment.

If you doubt an observer's judgement see the clerk of the course at the end of the trial. In reality how many times does the disputed mark actually affect your overall position in the trial. If results are published on a "section by section" basis they often reveal the section you had doubts about probably did not matter that much in the end. Do not bother asking the observer "was that clean" or whatever. Keep score in your head and see if the results match your mental total. Observers don't see every dab and you might be prompting the observer in the opposite direction to what you think!

How about always helping less able riders clear the section after they have "fived". This helps keep the trial moving, I have often downed my observers board and helped a stuck rider only to find a massive queue on my return with more riders walking the section. Next time your chain hops off the rear sprocket and jams the front sprocket solid I am sure you would like some help.

If a marker peg gets knocked down, how about those riders walking the section or waiting for their mates sticking it back in.

Watch your language! I am not a genteel old dear but someone who works in an environment where robust talk is all too common. I do not think it is acceptable to bellow expletives loudly in public. If you think this does not matter, think again. Often whilst waiting for riders I will talk to people who have nothing to with trials but have just come for a look. Do you want our sport being remembered for the wrong reasons? At one summer trial my section was right by someone's back garden wall. Some riders' cursing was far louder than the bikes. At the other side of the wall small children were playing. What if they were the children of the farmer whose land was being used?

At a trial which is deliberately set out to be easy what about the dads of youth riders letting them ride round without a "minder"? Dad could observe a section and son or daughter would probably enjoy a trial without being told "the best line" for every section. If today's youngsters are to be riding when they are eligible for a bus pass trials should be their sport not the fulfilling of dad's dreams. You both might have more to talk about on the way home as well.

Having ample and reliable observers helps the riders and the organisers. There may be more sections or a longer ride round.

At the end of your last lap remember a "thank you" from the rider is always well received.

All riders please read tayld ,and take note. The observers are out there for hours in all weathers for bugger all. the last thing the need is abuse. They make mistakes, accept it. They deserve a medal . Thank you observers whoever ,wherever you are.

Pete

A very good point Tayld, and nicely made.

I have always felt that 'match officials' should be treated with respect in all sports, but particularly in ours where there are very few situations where there are queues of willing observers dissapointed because they haven't a section. If we want our sport to continue we must protect this valuable resource.

It also brings to the fore the question of sportsmanship. I have said this before but for the majority of riders in a trial, the class win is not the main driver and even if it is, is another little trophy for the mantlepiece to go along with 47 other 'best clubman' trophies that important? Take every decision, good or bad, on the chin. Human as observers are a facet of our sport and their interpretation of our performances is the real measure, not OUR interpretation. As a good sportsman who offers a sincere thankyou for a contentious mark against you, you may well make the next one go in your favour anyway. Act like a sporting gentleman (or lady) and everyone benefits!

Graham

Observers, the sport is dead without them.

I confess to bellowing at each and every one of them, to say "Thank you" as I leave the section on the last lap.

A little politeness goes a long way.

Who else would stand out in all weathers to watch a single section.

Observers, the sport is dead without them.

I confess to bellowing at each and every one of them, to say "Thank you" as I leave the section on the last lap.

A little politeness goes a long way.

Who else would stand out in all weathers to watch a single section.

I tried to do this mid-section once as the ends cards were a long way from where the observer was standing and I didn't think he'd hear me. However he still didn't hear me as my mouth was full of leaves...

I admit to giving the observer a loud "WHAT?". It was a very silly thing to do as he was a young lad who promptly burst into tears and to be honest I felt a right **** for not controlling my normally placid temper and taking my own inept competence on the chin. I made every effort to mend my mistake and I appologised profusely to him, but that particular moment still haunts me to this day. He was there to help out and was doing a good job. I should have known better really as my own young lad was observing a trial a few months before and one rider dabbed a few times and my son gave him a '5'. I asked him why did he give him a 5 and he explained that "He swore and said a very bad word, so I gave him a 5 for swearing"!

We need observers, it's necessary part of the sport - I was a right twit for swearing and I won't be doing it again. Lesson learn't.

This caught my eye the other day, on the front page.

Westmorland Motor Cycle Club Ltd.

Results for John Wren Muliti-Class series round 1

At the bottom of the results was this message:-

"thanks to all observers for putting up with the rubbish weather .

would all riders please keep in mind observers give up there time free so we can hold trials

if you disagree with the marks you are given please see the clerk of the course at the end

DO NOT give observers abuse.

We would like to thank the young girls who observed for us and hope the incident will not put them

off from doing so again please accept our apology

thanks to everyone for turning up and for the regular helpers."

Now it's difficult to comment without knowing the full story but surely somebody somewhere should be feeling pretty embarrassed. And rightly so it appears.

IMO it should be a prerequisite of any championship that to participate and collect points you HAVE to observe and/or set up/take down/man the tea van etc at one round of that championship. That way everybody might appreciate a bit more what they take for granted every weekend.

I think what most riders that don't observe don't get is the following:-

4 lap trial, 40 riders.

Their attempt at a section is one of four each one probably memorable to them after the event.

The observer, though, has to watch 160 attempts at that one section and it is very easy to lose your concentration and make a mistake - I've done it myself where I've watched someone carefully through my section, mentally applauding the line and throttle control, and then had absolutely no idea what they scored! Easily done. Give 'em a break.

Ive seen it all i get five on Jackwood and a young lady gets 3 for same ride just because of the name. But i never bitch and take it all with a pinch of salt as its only a bunch of folk riding in a bloody muddy field or stream at the end of the day paying bugger all to do so. I think it needs more investment from all to push the sport other than love and good will.

That said i still love it for what it is.