Bultaco 199b Tank Decals

paulmac

Can anyone help with a source for 199b Tank Decals?

I'm looking for vinyl rather than water slide transfers - I've tried the water slide transfers and I can't get them to stick to a poly tank.

Thanks in advance

Paul M

I doubt vinyl will either (For long anyway). Originally the Poly tanks were screen printed with the graphics. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.

Ivan Cirre in Spain has some 199B tank decals but not sure what type they are.

Wayne....

Edited by wayne_weedon

Hi Big John - thanks for that, I'll give him a call - I need a few more bits anyway.

Hi Wayne - I know what you mean - I bought the tank from Dave R when I was back in the UK a couple of years back but it had the wrong screen print decals on- fortunatly they don't stay on too long either - it's either the 45* heat or the Ausie fuel... so i figure vinyl might hang in a bit longer.

Many thanks for your help Chaps.

Regards

Paul M

Edited by paulmac

You can certainly put vinyl decals on a poly plastic tank

BUT they will NOT stay on

with any decal applied to any plastic tank , the petrol vapour breathes through

the decal and melts the glue and bubbles up the decal

The only way the decal will stay on is if you never put petrol in the tank!

WHY do you think the original tanks are screen printed!!

Fine if you are just lookung at it , but trying to succsessfully put on decals.........forget it.

The ony people who do this on their bikes succsessfully - is the japs-

but they are better at making things than anybody.

Dave i will try to seal the tank of my Fantic 125 with expoyprimer a friend of mine has a paintshop and he thinks it should work. It looks like crap anyway so if it doesent work it will still look better, will post the results here good or bad :(

Cheers,

Ed

Fantic tanks paint ok, no idea whether they are a different material from the Bultaco tanks. A mate of mine has a Fantic tank that has been painted for years and it hasn't lifted. Doesn't appear to be lined with anything. At the twinshock team trial last year Bill Pye's team were on Fantics and they all had painted tanks. They weren't lined as I asked him, just painted with 2-pack with flexible plastic primer.

I've used Caswells on a fibreglass tank - is it made to work with the polyprop... tanks, can it stick to that?

I had a Sherpa tank painted almost 2 years ago, not lined with anything, decals applied and then lacquered. I've never been able to use it as the captive nuts pulled so I couldn't seal the tap. It's had petrol in it but not for long but it must have fumes in it still. So far no problem. One day I'll get round to just putting a bit of fuel in it and leave it to see if it does lift the paint over time.

Fantic tanks paint ok, no idea whether they are a different material from the Bultaco tanks. A mate of mine has a Fantic tank that has been painted for years and it hasn't lifted. Doesn't appear to be lined with anything. At the twinshock team trial last year Bill Pye's team were on Fantics and they all had painted tanks. They weren't lined as I asked him, just painted with 2-pack with flexible plastic primer.

I've used Caswells on a fibreglass tank - is it made to work with the polyprop... tanks, can it stick to that?

I had a Sherpa tank painted almost 2 years ago, not lined with anything, decals applied and then lacquered. I've never been able to use it as the captive nuts pulled so I couldn't seal the tap. It's had petrol in it but not for long but it must have fumes in it still. So far no problem. One day I'll get round to just putting a bit of fuel in it and leave it to see if it does lift the paint over time.

Simple fix for that fault.

drill out captive holes template a bit of ally say 6 mm thick to match the tap top drill and tap 2 holes wire through tank filler to tap top and fit a m6 to one side then petcock to other then second bolt tighten up job done.