Rules For Section Boundary

woody

Wow I had no idea you guys in the UK were such trusting gentlemen regarding the rules. Over here it is fair game to take any route that gets you through your own colour gates. As a consequence, we tend to use a lot of tape to limit creativity of line selection to that line intended by the C of C.

In the case of that diagram, there would be red tape joining the middle three red arrows.

For bdmc (applying your rules for not going through a gate of another colour to the section in the diagram), how does the red route rider get out the end of the section without going between the two blue markers?

I've told riders many times that they have to imagine a straight line between markers and if they cross that they will get a five. Rightly or wrongly, I have enforced that in the past and no doubt will do so again in the future. Not to the nearest mm using laser guidance, but still basically a straight line.

• 2 weeks later...

The C of C should either have used tape od put in extra markers.

Quite right - when I lay out sections I assume that some riders will try every concievable way of missing the hard bits- so you place the markers accordingly - it's harder with dual routes but not impossible.

good section marking also takes the pressure off the observers. Imaginary lines are always going to be difficult to enforce and lead to differences of opinion.

Does my memory not serve me correctly that the rule book used to state a straight line between two flags or the continuation of the natural radius of a corner between corner markers if you know what I mean. I've advised many club members of the corner rule as this is where people tend to take the ****. An example is a corner marked tight before a step. If you tried to mark the corner to stop it you'd have to use tape or an awful lot of markers to break the corner in to many straight lines but with only a few markers the straight line between two cuts across the corner making it far too tight a triangle.

Can BJ or JC confirm I'm not going mad and there is an rule for corner marking to?

Have you tried keeping tape in place on a Scottish hillside in 100mph winds?

Oh, I doo undersatand, and as such we do have special tape made even! Good stuff!

It is more difficult to set though, not like throwing flags about. This is a problem unless your natural boundries take order to it! :(