John Reynolds Suzuki Beamish

scrumpyjack

Hi all, I have just come across an ex John Reynolds works beamish, apparently it was sold to a family friend by John after completing the scottish on it, the bike has been untouched and tucked away safely since then, could anyone with any info or pics of john riding a beamish in the scottish 6 day, or what year he rode one there please help, i will post some pics of the bike as soon as i can.

Hello Again Scrumpy Jack

Just been looking on the ssdt chat forum on this site and on page four there is a topic titled 1980's photos by overthehill which has a good black and white shot of reynolds in 1980.

Hope this helps, Good luck with the Bike.

Cookie 2050

Well this one's definitely '79 at the Ben, digitally rescued from a very poorly exposed slide so apologies for the quality.

post-1145-1234215688.jpg

And, just out of interest on the Suzuki theme, from the same year Chris Sutton at Allt-A-Chaorruinn, one of my favourite sections.

post-1145-1234215896.jpg

Let's have a no prize competition to name the rider in the background and can anyone remember what he was riding that year?

Edited by 2/4

Hello Again Scrumpy Jack

Just been looking on the ssdt chat forum on this site and on page four there is a topic titled 1980's photos by overthehill which has a good black and white shot of reynolds in 1980.

Hope this helps, Good luck with the Bike.

Cookie 2050

Thanks Cookie, very helpfull :-)

John Reynolds rode for Ossa UK in 1975, which was teh run by Roger Holden and was 2nd in the Irish world round that year riding the Cheney cantilver framed Ossa. In 1976 he moved to Beamish Suzuki, finished 6th In the Irish world round that year. In 1978 he was riding the early red/white SWM TL320 in the SSDT and sometime afte that he switched back to Suzuki. In 1981 JR rode the Beamish Suzuki RL325 in the Scott trial. I cannot be sure of the year that he switched from SWM back to the Beamish, but I met a man at Telford who had a John Reynolds RL 325, and a Beamish jacket signe by JR, and he also knows the man himself.

I hope this helps.

As JR had two stints with Graham Beamish it would be interesting to know what colour the bike is: is it silver/orange, red/black, yellow/black or just plain yellow?

John Reynolds rode for Ossa UK in 1975, which was teh run by Roger Holden and was 2nd in the Irish world round that year riding the Cheney cantilver framed Ossa. In 1976 he moved to Beamish Suzuki, finished 6th In the Irish world round that year. In 1978 he was riding the early red/white SWM TL320 in the SSDT and sometime afte that he switched back to Suzuki. In 1981 JR rode the Beamish Suzuki RL325 in the Scott trial. I cannot be sure of the year that he switched from SWM back to the Beamish, but I met a man at Telford who had a John Reynolds RL 325, and a Beamish jacket signe by JR, and he also knows the man himself.

I hope this helps.

As JR had two stints with Graham Beamish it would be interesting to know what colour the bike is: is it silver/orange, red/black, yellow/black or just plain yellow?

I can recall that Malcolm Rathmell was having a less than successful time on the built for him Beamish then John Reynolds won first time out on it but can't remember the trial.

Also does anyone know what mods were made to the works bikes?,,, i just want to make sure it is what i am told it is.

Depends on the year. The early silver/orange bike had magnesium engine cases, supplied from Japan, a magnesium carb plus titanium swing arm and wheel spindles from Beamish/Brian Fowler, it was very light apparently. The last of the Beamish "works" (1981 all yellow bike with no sub frame) had the swinging arm pivot moved much closer to the rear of the engine than the standard production bike, and a smaller tank (although they did fit a large capacity tank for the Scottish). Don't know anything about the red/balck or yellow/black models that Birkett & Rathmell rode (respectively). You should speak to Beamish owners club when he returns from his hols.

I can recall that Malcolm Rathmell was having a less than successful time on the built for him Beamish then John Reynolds won first time out on it but can't remember the trial.

Yes I think you are right, I have an old article on Malc, in which he states that he did not get on well with the bike. I think his contract with Beamish Suzuki lasted for just one year, then he returned to Montesa.

Hello Scrumpy Jack,

Rasthus rode the 1978 yellow & black RL325 black engine model, which had the complete rear subframe loop (Classic Bike, July 1993), if that helps. I think I am right in saying the last bike JR rode was the 1981 RL325Y (no sub frame, straight rear frame rails).