John Reynolds Suzuki Beamish

scrumpyjack

Also does anyone know what mods were made to the works bikes?,,, i just want to make sure it is what i am told it is.

I can see the price on this one is going to be more than the average Suzuki when it goes on sale.

I didn't think that Rathmell rode a Beamish, thought he had the factory 325 which was then campaigned by Nigel Birkett after Rathmell went back to Montesa. Birks still has the bike now.

There was an ex-Reynolds bike on the Beamish stand at Telford.

Malcolm Rathmell certainly did ride the 325 Beamish model, some of the works riders had a Suzuki Japan made exhaust system,as seen on the bike at Telford, Malcolms bike included, I got to ride his bike at the time,and that exhaust made a big difference,over the UK made one.

I had the use of a bike with the ex Geoff Chandler works 325 motor for a while ,and that had magnesium crankcases.

Edited by motomike

I didn't think that Rathmell rode a Beamish, thought he had the factory 325 which was then campaigned by Nigel Birkett after Rathmell went back to Montesa. Birks still has the bike now.

There was an ex-Reynolds bike on the Beamish stand at Telford.

Hi Woody - I know the bike you are talking about, the factory Suzuki (Suzuki frame not Whitlock), and I believe that you are right the Birkett has one. A certain Mr S B has another factory SuzukiRL325, sat in a barn. However, there is a picture of Malcolm Rathmell riding a Beamish Suzuki in 1978 (Classic Bike magazine [July 1993 issue]).

hi

if you look at the photos of JR and CS the front forks are different jr has the much lighter works type

there where only 6 works engines with lots of magnesium

there are lots of photos in the bernie schrieber training book and also film on the mick andrews training film

the original suzuki works frames (2 of )were not used for long as they where very light and prone to bending

I would try contacting Nigel birkett as he should know most and I believe still rates the works engines!

cheers helm

I've got mixed up then, thought Rathmell was at Suzuki before Birks but obviously the other way around as the works RL325 was from about '76 I think.

So 1978 is late enough for the first 325 Beamish which explains the article you're referring to with Rathmell riding one. Thinking about it I seem to remember him in yellow riding gear too which would suggest Beamish as the works bikes were red/orange and silver. Just assumed he would have been on a full works bike rather than a Beamish as he was highest paid factory rider at the time if I remember correctly.

Didn't realise there was another works RL still around though - sitting in a barn is a shame, be nice to see it used. Birks uses his with a Beamish frame due to the fragility of the original. Engine sounds absolutely superb with a lot of go.

post-1145-1234215896.jpg

Let's have a no prize competition to name the rider in the background and can anyone remember what he was riding that year?

Looks like Mick Bailey who passengered for Ade Clarke in the late 70's. Probably on a Montesa 310 or 348. Could be old man Hemmingway (father of Ben & Dan and Uncle to Dougie)

Edited by andat

I've got mixed up then, thought Rathmell was at Suzuki before Birks but obviously the other way around as the works RL325 was from about '76 I think.

So 1978 is late enough for the first 325 Beamish which explains the article you're referring to with Rathmell riding one. Thinking about it I seem to remember him in yellow riding gear too which would suggest Beamish as the works bikes were red/orange and silver. Just assumed he would have been on a full works bike rather than a Beamish as he was highest paid factory rider at the time if I remember correctly.

Didn't realise there was another works RL still around though - sitting in a barn is a shame, be nice to see it used. Birks uses his with a Beamish frame due to the fragility of the original. Engine sounds absolutely superb with a lot of go.

That will be the works suzuki now with yamaha forks, front wheel and swinging arm then?

post-1145-1234215896.jpg

Let's have a no prize competition to name the rider in the background and can anyone remember what he was riding that year?

Looks like Mick Bailey who passengered for Ade Clarke in the late 70's. Probably on a Montesa 310 or 348. Could be old man Hemmingway (father of Ben & Dan and Uncle to Dougie)

Only one taker - correct - at first I thought it was Jim Cunningham (who few would know) but then realised it is John Hemingway so most could potentially recognise him. I'm sure that's the year he rode the full 350 ex Martin Lampkin Bultaco which was, I'm sure, known as the Jumbo long before SWM appropriated the name. It definitely had a nickname but I'd like to have my memory refreshed if it was not Jumbo.