What Reliability/bad Luck Storys

asc

so we've all being happy enough late in the event when you here those noises you've being dreading all week and your bike grinds to a halt.

so who's got the best story's of how they've made a knackered bike get round.

who's in the shameful/unlucky position of going out after an hour or two on monday.

i've a number of lucky tales,must have had the god's on my side.

and what's the best bike you've ever ridden round on?

me on my first year on an early mont 315r ,it sounded rather strange ,would not rev and then stopped just past tramway on saturday maybe 15 miles from the finnish,stangely it was out of fuel and this was just past the fuel stop.after a long push i obtained some fuel and it started again sounding very second hand,i rode the next group and on the way to ben it ran out yet again so after getting some fuel at the petrol station i stripped the carb at the side of the road and found a pea size stone in the choke circuit.once removed it was running fine once again rode the last group with out looking at the bike and finnished with 15 minutes of penaltys.

best bike i've ridden round would have to be my 4rt ,all i swopped all week was oil filter and a back tyre,barely needed a spanner on it.

scariest moment s ridding most of a tuesday with no back brake after smashing it off.

funniest ridding round with amos ,braybrook and justin wilson (comedy)and getting dave thorpe to buy me an ice cream.

loads of amazing times some you could'nt print.

shame i hav'nt got a ride this year.

I lost sparks as i turned in to the carpark after the Wednesday on a 314 Mont, think the year was 94 , needed a new stator which was duly fitted on the Thursday morning . Cost me 5 marks for pushing out of the parc ferme but really lucky when you think where it could have chucked it !

The essence of the SSDT is to finish at all costs. The event is one of endurance both personal and bike. Your aim is to be prepared on both counts but Scotland has it's own Gods who favour some and put the fickle finger of fate on others. My first attempt in 1970 had a "double" on day 1 with the chain jamming everything on Pipeline and then later the left side swinging arm bolt falling out on the 247 Montesa on Blackwater. Used a screwdriver as a footrest in the hole and brought her home on day 1 and went on to win both the R.A. Castle and John Bull Trophies..... never give in ! 71-74 no issues until 75 when Ossa mounted I shortened the wheelbase by 3" in an unwise attempt to clear the "Ravine" on Rannoch. That was Monday and as Team Captain I was feeling somewhat foolish but I limped it round to the finish.

Scotland forever.... don't cheat it's hard enough as it is, whether that be 1970 or 2009!

Tony

first year was quite an experience 1986.

Ran out of fuel on the friday afternoon run from fersit to Kinlochleven. I caught up with fellow north east rider who had burnt a hole in his petrol tank. Tried to tow him using both of our bum bags but we were to knackered to manage on the flat never mind the hills. We calculated the other guy had to be in Fort william in 10 mins or he would be out of the trial so I left him to the back markers !

I did about another two mile and ran out myself, but I was right at the top of the hill and coasted all the way to the fuel check in Kinlochleven :D

On the tuesday I had the carb off as the bike had stopped, I couldnt find anything wrong so I was refitting it when i noticed the fuel breather was twisted when I had refitted the petrol cap at the fuel check....

been lots of laughs since but i cant type that quickly

first year was quite an experience 1986.

Ran out of fuel on the friday afternoon run from fersit to Kinlochleven. I caught up with fellow north east rider who had burnt a hole in his petrol tank. Tried to tow him using both of our bum bags but we were to knackered to manage on the flat never mind the hills. We calculated the other guy had to be in Fort william in 10 mins or he would be out of the trial so I left him to the back markers !

I did about another two mile and ran out myself, but I was right at the top of the hill and coasted all the way to the fuel check in Kinlochleven :D

On the tuesday I had the carb off as the bike had stopped, I couldnt find anything wrong so I was refitting it when i noticed the fuel breather was twisted when I had refitted the petrol cap at the fuel check....

been lots of laughs since but i cant type that quickly

So have you made any runs at it lately?

Have not seen you much since off the Sherco, did you get my message to ask if you were on the FB thing?

two unlucky riders i remember ,vicky ellis got round till saturday when her beta expired on the top of pipeline on the saturday ,i stopped and tryed to help,a long way to go but so near and i can't remember who it was but i can remember some one breaking there leg on tramway on the water fall ,may have being 2001 think it was one of the yorkshire riders.proves you need a bit of luck.i'm just thankful that it doe'snt start at edinbourgh any more.

hi there in 2004 i was told to get a new pair of these nice billet footpegs so they were fitted, on the satuday going up the top off pipeline hit a rock and one sheered off . first time any thing like this had happened so managed to carry on loch ceran then the other side snapped . going through the rocks instead off over them doesnt help . limped home for a finish on the saturday night one off the boys said to me i would probably get a new pair on waranty as I HARDLY USED THEM ALL WEEK . ;)