Can I Do Enduro's On A Trials Bike ?

fergzx9r

Hi there :D

Is it possible to do Enduro events or even hare and hounds on a trials bike ??

Is it allowed and can it be done ??

Would the miles kill the bike ??

I have recently bought an enduro and a trials bike and enjoy the long distance runs but just LOVE my trials bike.

I realise that i wont be quick enough to compete but i really fancy it none the less :huh:

I have a Beta 200 rev 3 and a Yamaha WR 250 2 stroke...............but quite frankly if its not possible on my wee Beta i would sell my enduro and trials bike if it could be done on a 4 stroke trials bike or..................??? any suggestions ??

Had a look at the Scorpa T ride, maybe the answer ??

You may be asking why not use the enduro for enduros ? You would think wouldnt you, honest answer......i find the size and weight of the larger bikes less fun and quite daunting.

Any opinions gratefully recieved :D

Cheers :D

There are always trials bikes at our enduro events (Vancouver Island). I find my Beta easier to ride on the trails around here than my KTM200SX and with the long ride kit I can ride for 4-5hrs without refueling. The last enduro I did on my 200SX I rode the same loop the next weekend with the Beta and I was much faster and less tired/exhausted.

Some even ride them in the hare scrambles.

Yes but it needs to be a fairly technical event if you're going to shape well. The easier events will favour faster (e.g. proper enduro bikes). No reason why a trials bike can't do an enduro though. It certainly won't do it any damage.

:D

Thanks for the input !

What does a long ride kit consist of ? Just a bigger tank ?

I thought the small 2 stroke engine would not appreciate the long runs and higher/consistent revs ??

The enduros i have done here in Scotland were very muddy with lots of deep marsh etc, was not sure how the trials tyres/engine would go. Ever seen anyone fit Motocross/Enduro tyres to a trials bike ?

"Yes but it needs to be a fairly technical event if you're going to shape well" Im not interested in winning, just want to have fun ( take a flask of tea and some sandwiches for picnic half way round lol ) :D

Thanks again

Iain in very wet Scotland :huh:

Trials tyres will work well as i use them (pirelli mt43) on my husqvarna te610 for greenlaning etc, but if i was using a trials bike i would go up at least 2 or 3 teeth on the countershaft/gearbox sprocket which will drop the engine revs and it will be fine

Dave

Had this query earlier today - perhaps from a sourse trying to help you?

Answer - yes you can use your trials bike - but as you have already surmised it will take a lot of punishment.

I have used Bultaco Sherpa's in Welsh Two days, & a few British Championship two day events - but hat was years ago - and they had a bit of a seat. I still spent most of day standing up - probably why my kneesa are now knackered. !

For Enduro - You will need working lights For H & H you will not

• 1 year later...

I have done two H&H on an enduro bike where there was a chap on a Sherco trials bike (with no seat) who did more laps than me and plenty of others. One of these events had a fairly technical wood (for a H&H) - where a trials bike was possibly an advantage. Most of the lap time was spent in the wood. The other event was very open, mostly blatting across flat fields.

Unlike me, he was obviously a very good rider (and pretty fit I'd imagine!) but it just goes to show what's possible - although you would need to be careful with big bumps at higher speeds.

Yes you can.

Earlier this year I done a 3hr hare and hounds on my scorpa 4t and finished 3rd in class.

The bike was standard apart for a bigger front sprocket. Had to stop for fuel every three laps, but it was a welcome break to be honest as I felt as tho my lower back was about to explode!!!!

That particular hh was really twisty through woods, the bike won't get wrecked. It's not as tho you will have the thing pinned to the stop all day.

Stick a bigger front cog on it and get riding.

Is it possible to do Enduro events or even hare and hounds on a trials bike ??

I did Dawn to Dusk on a Montesa 4rt (26-mile laps). Fuel was a problem, needed to carry extra with me. On the start line, everybody on their big bikes laughed and chuckled. But 10 hours into it, when they were all knackered and falling off up the hills, I just kept chugging past.

Yes it can be done and it's a laugh. But it really is tortoise and hare stuff.