What Kind Of Bike To Get My 13yr Old Daughter Started On?

amcq46

A question to all you parents out there. My 13yr old daughter is showing an interest in learning to ride a bike and getting into trials, but as she has never riden any kind of motorcycle before I am not sure what best to start her on.

Although she is tall, she is not very heavy or strong, so I guess lighter and easy to start is important.

main thoughts / questions:

1) Clearly one of the auto clutch bikes would be much easier for her to learn on, but are they too small for a tall 13yr old, and would she out grow it too quick? - which are the best auto options for her size and lack of skill?

2) Are TY80's already too small for a 13yr old, or too restricted in what they can do to let her both learn then perhaps progress to white route?

3) if not a 50 auto, or a TY80, what are the other options?

I am not sure if this is a real passion and that she would want to progress to competition, or just a try out then get bored [or frightened], so I dont want to throw too much money at it, but I do want to let her have a go and see if she enjoys it.

Any advise from those who have been in the same situation with sons / daughters?

I was twelve nearly thirteen when i got my first bike, I had no knowledge of what a clutch was and I was a rather weee skinny lad. But anyway I got my hands on a sherco 125 05, you've got to learn somewhere and I picked it up quite quickly within a few hours of practise and the wheight wasnt much of a problem for me. Anyway more info if you want later.

Personally I would get her a sherco 125... Theres a nice 05 in the classifieds at the moment, you may say thats too highly priced for a beginner but its not... cheper bikes are sometimes less reliable, giving her less bike time therefore putting her off more! If she doesnt take to it, sell it... for the same or a very close price, beginners dont really ride hard enough to wear out the bike.

Dont worry about the clutch, just spend her first ride teaching her the basics of gear selection and clutch usage.. she'll soon get the hang of it! I was 11 when I got my first bike with user operated clutch, must of taken about 30 mins to master it. At 13 needless to say I do teach mates a wee bit of riding, clutch control and that... they seem to pick it up straight away from never riding before.

So yeah, get a 125 sherco or gas gas (two easiest to control bike imo) and retard the timing slightly, as she starts to master the bike a bit more restore it to factory settings, once she has learnt the basics and is able to start to learn stuff by herself teach her bike maintenance! This could save you a lot of time out in the garage doing it all for her, and, if shes going to take the riding seriously its an important skill to have... I know im not a girl but sometimes I just go out to the garage, service the bike with some music playing, give it a good clean... kind of relaxing just sitting in peice working on the bike with your favourite music playing, it really does lift your spirits when its all back together and looking tidy!

Big wheel TXT 80's are really good but the chances are that she would soon get used to the power and be looking for bigger gears and more poke. My lad had one when he was 11 and to be honest could have gone straight to a 125 then (rules allowing!)

All of the modern 125's are light and easy to use :D

I would agree with getting her a 125, stick it in a higher gear so she can get some sort of speed and stability, with it being a 125 she will find it hard to flip the bike which has a big scare factor for someone learning.

Also, like others have said, but as good of a bike as you can afford, you will get the money back at the end of the day.

The only down side to using a trials bike is that there isnt any seat which can make things a bit more difficult. Im sure you could make something that would do the job though!

also, heres a little tip for teaching her how to use a clutch that I discovered when teaching my girlfriend how to ride. rather than trying to get her to balance the clutch and the throttle at the same time, just turn the tickover up, it will rev a bit but she can set off using just the clutch, once she knows how it all feels, turn the tickover down to normal, and get her to hold steady revs with the throttle and then concentrate on the clutch.

Good Luck!

Tom

My cousin had the same dilema with his daughter a couple of years ago, she had never been on a motorbike but had seen my boys and her Dad enjoying themselves and fancied a bike.

My youngest (then 11) had a Beta 80 at the time which I thought would be an ideal starter bike. Very light, bombproof engine, not too much power, slow action throttle, extra flywheel weight and featherweight clutch.

Whilst she did ride it round the field a few times you could see she was scared of it and found standing up not at all natural.

Shortly after this he got her a Yamaha PW80, which she loves. Gears, 2 or 3 but no clutch and a big comfy seat.

Have you got a bike ? If so I would let her have go on that, if she seems happy and confident with the controls then a 125 would be ideal. Gas Gas would be my choice but condition is probably more important than make.

Good luck.

Mike

Some great advise so far from dads & lads, many thanks.

I think I will try her on my 250pro using Tom's high tickover trick, and see if she gets to grips with the basics and can progress to standing up. I am still thinking how I can rig up a seat, and limit the throttle movement to prevent any panic reactions, but I have an old throttle housing which I am sure I can make some mods to and sort that out.

If she gets through that we can see if a big wheel 80 or a 125 comes up locally, and go from there.

Any other comments are more than welcome, as the ones so far have been very helpfull

To make the throttle unusable when she's on it Ive found the easiest thing to do is pop the end of the cable off of the tube and remove the roller, this means your in control of the throttle using the tickover! once she's comfortable with this reatach the throttle, loosen the positive going to the kill switch, not too much, just enough so that with a gentle tug it will pop out. Tie a small peice of rope to the wire and hold it to the bars and down to around the footpeg with LOOSE cable ties, this way you can still give it a tug but it doesn't get in her way! If she over does it give the rope a tug and it will kill the engine.... Preferably use quite a long rope so she feels in control without you right by her!

Edit: Actually, dont use rope, too bulky... use a ball of string!

Edited by shercoman2k8

Some great advise so far from dads & lads, many thanks.

I think I will try her on my 250pro using Tom's high tickover trick, and see if she gets to grips with the basics and can progress to standing up. I am still thinking how I can rig up a seat, and limit the throttle movement to prevent any panic reactions, but I have an old throttle housing which I am sure I can make some mods to and sort that out.

If she gets through that we can see if a big wheel 80 or a 125 comes up locally, and go from there.

Any other comments are more than welcome, as the ones so far have been very helpfull

I think this is the key they get frightened if it jumps out of their hands, one thing that put me off a 125.to start on that is.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Based on the input from you all the TXT250 pro is now kitted out for rider training with:

A seat cut & shaped from 3" building insulation foam block [done with a rip saw, so looks a bit farmyard, but it is rigid & stable platform]

A string lanyard to the +ve terminal of the kill switch

And a throttle restrictor made from a piece of fuelpipe slit in half length ways and put in the lower section of the twist grip housing so it acts to stop the twistgrip at an early angle . The limit can be adjusted depending on how long I cut the fuel pipe, but is set for about 5 degrees rotation on a slow action throttle tube at present.

I will disconnect the throttle cable and use a high tickover to start with, and then when the cable is back on, at least I know she cant yank the throttle open in a panic and fly through the garden fence!.

Only need it to stop raining now and give it a try!

Thanks for the inspiration

Based on the input from you all the TXT250 pro is now kitted out for rider training with:

A seat cut & shaped from 3" building insulation foam block [done with a rip saw, so looks a bit farmyard, but it is rigid & stable platform]

A string lanyard to the +ve terminal of the kill switch

And a throttle restrictor made from a piece of fuelpipe slit in half length ways and put in the lower section of the twist grip housing so it acts to stop the twistgrip at an early angle . The limit can be adjusted depending on how long I cut the fuel pipe, but is set for about 5 degrees rotation on a slow action throttle tube at present.

I will disconnect the throttle cable and use a high tickover to start with, and then when the cable is back on, at least I know she cant yank the throttle open in a panic and fly through the garden fence!.

Only need it to stop raining now and give it a try!

Thanks for the inspiration

Only thing i would say is that they need to learn how to "use" the throttle as soon as.