Long Stroke Hondas

toofasttim

:D

That's the very thing, but none to be had I'm afraid!

cheers Tim...

Big John

Big John

I know of a bike shop with a Red Sherpa 125 which has never been used (guess it must be 1979 or before)

Saw it again last week on display...........but reckon it might be for sale.

Same as in pic complete with all lights and 'showroom condition'.

Send me a PM, if you want more details

Am i missing something here but i thought BJ wanted a 340 six speed ? Thats a Model 199B. Never rated the 125 or 175 Sherpas myself.

I've got a 340 six speed but its not for sale even though the garage (shed) is getting a bit crowded with projects i wouldnt part with the old girl. Dont want to sell the bike either :D with appologies to she who must be obeyed (but not in the shed)

Good luck with the search BJ and when people say they have an origional Commerford 340 six speed take it with a pinch of salt its probably just an old 199B 340 like mine.

Still a great bike though. :D

:D

OTF, you are quite correct I personally desire a 340 6 speed Sherpa, it was my eldest son David who is 15 who fancied me acquiring a 125 Sherpa as the new ruling for teenagers is maximum 125cc up to 17 years of age, (or it will be shortly)

I know about the "Comerford" situation, Reg May (god rest his soul) converted a number of 340 bikes to a slightly different spec as the factory had closed its doors.

I would really like a very good one (340 6 speed) as I don't have a lot of restoration time available!

Thanks for that... but we were talking Honda, nice deviation!

Big John

Want to know any more about the 'as new' 125 Sherpa.......BJ or not?

John

I will give one of your RTL's a good home - I assure you it will be well loved for, regularly used and regularly seviced. I would even let you have a go!

Just think this would give you the space for another 2 stroke

• 1 year later...

sorry to sway from the original post, but i had a 340 6-speeder and could not see what all the fuss is about!!!

just like the majesty 250 i thought this was ment to be the dogs b**llock's until found that my 250 reed valve beamish could do everything the majesty could!

sometimes these bikes become legendary infact when actually tested found that they dont live up to expectation's, my 199b was vibey,noisey,the IMHO gearbox isnt as strong as the 325's (mine had a horrible 3rd gear whine ) poss due to trying to cram the 6-speed box into the exisisting c/cases?

ive also heard that the 6th gear can let go completly!

i think most people search these bikes out mostly for there rarity and curiosity value?

Just catching up after a while away from home hence the late reply. The one I had was not a bit heavy John, it was grossly overweight. Sold to a north sea diver and never seen again as he had no desire to ride trials (he got the right bike!). Don't really wish I still had it but often wonder where it ended up - does anybody know an ex-diver with a TL? Can't remember the reg number.

Going back to the Honda (very nice too Big John) I thought the long stroke models had a wet sump engine derived from a trail bike where as the 306 short strokes were dry sump or lubed from the gearbox.

Did the short stroke engines used by the works riders not suffer from overheating problems ?

just something I seem to recollect.

There was a short stroke Honda on display at the Malvern show a couple of years ago very similar to the Norman Sheperd bike pictured earlier with the slab sided engine and high up gear shaft.

Why did they not sell the ones we really REALLY want to own.