Owners Of The Evo, I Would Love To Hear Your Feedback On The Bike, (290)!

pillar

So how is everyone liking there new Evo's? I'm saving for the 290 near for end of the year, so I'd like to get feedback from people who have put some miles on it.

How is the power on hills compared to the 270 Rev? Is the motor quite a noticable improvement over the 270 which you can't really complain about?

How long of a ride can you get from the little tank? Trail riding average I'm guessing 1hr???? Trials about 1.5hr??

So ya, just brag about your new bike, I'd like to hear the goods and the hopefully few bads!

Thanks guys!

Cheers

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 250 rather than 290 but have tried both and prefer the 250. Ive had every year Beta rev 3 since 04 and it is the first one which does ride majorly different from the last.

Plus points.

Turns very well but the bars need to be forward to keep the front light.

Rear suspension is very plush and rides for me best with a bit of preload and damper right off ( im no superstar over the big stuff so im talking medium rocks and logs here) so no more spine judders if you timing is off when attemping a rock step.

Front suspension very plush and smooth.

Gearbox has very light change and you get a positive click( almost as good as a Mont. !)

Brakes supposed to be the same but mine are definately sharper. I think pads are a different coumpound but squeal like a banshee when wet

Engine will pull with the slightest of throttle and never shows signs of bogging even when you stop start on steep inclines.

Starts with the slightest of kicks unlike my 07 270.

Minus points

Front end seems over soft as travel is non linear but is plush when you get used to it.

Rear vents in mudguard allow water to run straight into the filter.( easily fixed by sealing them up with a bit of silicone as recommended by lampkins). Once sealed the filter stays cleaner than the REV 3

Rear swinging arm bushes squeak unless you soak in spray lube( may ease off in time as mines only got about 15 hours on it)

Footpegs are rubbish and changing for something aftermarket is a must.

Idle screw is made of soft plastic like 08 but jitsie make a nice alloy one.

The throttle cable runs through a sharp edged egine mount and cuts through the cable outer in no time at all. I fixed mine with a bit of inner tube supurglued over the edge.

The shock you get through the wrists if your triple clamp makes contact with the frame on full lock is unbeleivable. I fixed mine with a small bit of inner tube glued either side on the bottom clamp.

Overall Im very pleased with it and it really is a new bike rather than the old one with tweaks. The tank has not been a problem but I would definately fill up every lap if the trial was a long one.

The 290 is not for all due to the delivery of the mid and top end power. It feels much more powerful than the 08 270 . It depends on your ability buts it definately too much for me.

Hope this helps

The throttle cable runs through a sharp edged egine mount and cuts through the cable outer in no time at all. I fixed mine with a bit of inner tube supurglued over the edge.

The shock you get through the wrists if your triple clamp makes contact with the frame on full lock is unbeleivable. I fixed mine with a small bit of inner tube glued either side on the bottom clamp.

I have a problem with the clutch on my gas gas, can I fix that with a bit of inner tube and super glue?

Sorry....Couldnt resist.......

Tom

QUOTE (ianwilson @ Mar 12 2009, 07:35 AM)

I have a problem with the clutch on my gas gas, can I fix that with a bit of inner tube and super glue?

Sorry....Couldnt resist.......

likewise, my submarine is causing me some grief, would the innertube superglue remedy work here as well?

sorry..........i could'nt resist either ! ;)

Rear swinging arm bushes squeak unless you soak in spray lube( may ease off in time as mines only got about 15 hours on it)

Mine squeak for a while but it goes away after a few minutes. However I received mine with 2 of the nuts missing from the suspension linkage, however BVM where absolutely spot on with sorting it and sent some factory original nuts through the post and asked me to pop in on the way to a practice to temporarily fix it so I could play that day. I am guessing they just need to bed in.

The bike itself is excellent and you get used to it very quickly. I did the usual ditching of the foot pegs and raised the front mudguard also fitted the SXS stickers for the slots in the rear mudguard however anything to cover the slots would be fine. Other than that I changed the coolant to an organic (Motul) mixture as my old 270 corroded, more future proofing than anything, here. Changed the gearbox oil regularly, and just ride it. One good thing is I rolled it down a steep bank and it landed on the back mudguard that bent back on itself, I thought it was a gonna but it survived with no damage..bonus!!

For my two penneth worth I think the bike is excellent it rides really well and you get used to it really quickly, I would recommend it to anyone (290). Power is controlled by your right wrist, so totally controllable then?

I was nervous when deciding and was going to go for the GasGas for a change thinking that you should never be the first to buy a new model, but I am glad I did, I love it. Although I have to say I do still like the GasGas.

I thought that all Gasgas owners would be well versed with the benefits of superglue to put the bits back on that fall off every outing!

I thought that about Gassers after having Betas for years new as well. But ive got a Gasser and ive done far less work on it and its really reliable compared to the Betas ive had. In fact im going to hang onto it another year as just replaced rear shock bearings and greased everthing else.

I do like Beta but the Carb never seen to be good the rear brake lever was poor and the flywheel cover always needed to be resealed. Airbox seemed to allow muck to pass through the filter.

Im waiting to see long term the bike is good as it looks.

Hi i have had my Evo 250 for a couple of months now and have found very little moan about, its a very easy bike to adjust to and feels very well balanced and the 250 motor has plenty of stomp. I had an 04 250 gasgas pro before which was good but showing its age so looked to replace it, alomst bought a 2009 gasgas! but when i saw the Evo it looked light years ahead in terms of design and build quality.

The only problem ive had is the sqeeking outer bearing cups in the swingarm, mine were catching so bad the swingarm was sticking! but this was easily fixed.

I have rode a friends 290 and its great but maybe a bit much for me, the 250 feels ideal i would recommed it to anyone looking for a new bike.

Hi i removed the swingarm and showed my local dealer the problem, we fixed the problem by lightly cleaning up the outer faces of the swingarm where the bearing cups had been rubbing carefully with a file, only took fives mintues to do and made a big difference to the bike. Best bet is to see how bad yours is rubbing by removing the back wheel and disconnecting the linkage to the swingarm then see if it moves freely. Mine was sticking really bad and made the rear of the bike very slow to rebound.