Helmet Help

ben_r

Howdy all,

I am looking to buy a new helmet, but we don't have great selection here in Australia, hence I may buy sight unseen form overseas. I am particularly after a helmet that has stainless steel buckles and rivets - as the plain steel ones begin rusting after a couple of rides in the humidity over here.

Now I now what

Edited by Ben_r

Thanks for the replies. I think i might get the bieffe - a friend imported one in and it has a perfect fit (XL) and they seem to be a bit cheaper than the Shoei - I have had a Shoei before and it was awesome - but its just too dear to get to Australia.

Does anyone know a place with cheap Bieffe's that would send to Australia?

Cheers,

Ben

Edited by Ben_r

I was thinking of going with BVM, roughly what are the rates to Hong Kong? Also, what is VAT (I know its some sort of tax, but how much?) or am I right in saying helmets don't include VAT (something I noticed while searching).

By the way, I stopped in Hong Kong for a day on my way home from the swiss world round - looked like some sensational areas to ride. Can you get in to the good places??

Cheers,

Ben

Hey your right Nigel, I didn't even think of that aspect - but the shoei's are still dear. Where would be the best place to look for one?? I only have the equivalent of 145pounds total (inc. shipping) for a helmet (that's roughly the price of a YES - great fit but very rusty buckles!!)

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben..

Mmmmmm.........UNofficially we can get to some of those bits you saw...but of course we never do :hl:

Have you thought about an Arai??.....can't get Shoei here..but I can get an Arai...for ABOUT 100GBP..(will check exact price if you want me too). If you can be ABSOLUTELY sure of your size in Arai..I know the shop here would send you one...which would make payment easier since they would take VISA. I can help arrange for you if you want.

I will also try to check with the other riders if you can get SHoei here..but I dont think so. My Arai is great...reckon that could be the best thing for you..since postal costs are also VERY reasonable from Hong Kong... :D:D

Hi Stu,

Yeah, an Arai would be OK as long as it has the stainless buckles. Unfortunately, no one in Australia has one (or even heard of one) so I can't try one. I do know from my previous helmets that an XL Yes Dougie model and an XL Shoei are spot on but an XL NZI stratus is no good.

That would give an idea - but I'm still a little reluctant to buy untried (although I did the same with my YES and it was spot on!!). I suppose a ball-pien hammer can "adjust" the inner foam to suit :D .

By the way, does it have a removeable liner?

Cheers,

Ben

Edited by Ben_r

Hi Ben...

Yep it has a removeable liner.

Before I go any further..just want to point out to all out there..that I'm NOT encouraging importing stuff and avoiding your local dealer!!!...just that Ben r cannot get Arai in Australia..

Anyway..I'll carry on Ben..yep..removeable liner..and stainless double D ring fastener...(like the Arai road helmets)..NOT a buckle..AND..its VERY humid here..and its never rusted.

I will try to check on the size of an Arai, compared to that of a Shoei..but your right ,,might be a bit risky buying un-tried.

Will get back to you if I can find out more about the size. :D