Rear End

rwillett

Well that got your attention...

I had a nice trip down to Devon last week and stayed at the Bikers Rest. Had a great time with the 20 acres of so of wood and streams. Highly recommended.

I met some other bikers down there and one was on a 03 Beta. We swapped bikes (I have a 01 280 GG). The first thing that grabbed my attention was the power delivery, it was so smooth compared to my 280. Not necessarily better, but very different. The next thing was the rear suspension. It felt soft, smooth and wonderful.

Any ideas as to why the Beta rear suspension felt so much better than the GG.

best wishes,

Rob.

probly because Sachs shocks are ****, ive just seized mine seems as if the rod is bent and there is no movement and it squeaks alot.  :D  :hl:

very expensive replacement as well :(  :)  :D

Falcon will repair for about GBP120 ish. I had mine done locally for GBP75.

Is you linkage in 1st class condition? There is a lot of force in that little lot hidden under your swinging arm and if it's not in top condition huge losses will be made there. It could easily account for what you feel as a stiff unresponsive rear end.

Is you linkage in 1st class condition? There is a lot of force in that little lot hidden under your swinging arm and if it's not in top condition huge losses will be made there. It could easily account for what you feel as a stiff unresponsive rear end.

Speaking of which. I noticed the other day that I have a "little" movement in my linkage. I'm blaming you Bigfoot.

Of course it may have something to do with the seal I found on the garage ("grudge") floor the other day. Left over from when I replaced the shock. This does tend to lead to premature wear on the bearings, or so I'm told.

How's life in the frozen north John? It's 30ish here..

The Beta suspension is the best of any bike I've ridden (although I haven't ridden a Raga and I'm sure that Ohlins shocker is sweet). Anyway, I suffered from a slightly vague rear end on my old GasGas (a '99 270) and it took a complete (apart from the shock itself) rebuild to improve things - linkage arms, bearings, the lot. Even then it was nowhere near as nice as my Rev-3. I suspect a shock rebuild would've improved things even more. If you've already done the bearings etc., that'd be my next step.

Well success.

Gas Gas do make an Ohlins to fit (more or less) the 01 TXT. Since I think mine is knackered it makes sense to get one of those.

The bad news is that they have none in stock. But they *may* have them next week.

They mentioned having new bushes or something that might be needed. Anybody fitted the Ohlins to the 01TXT?

Rob.