Txt250 Brake Bleedling Nightmare!

forbzy

Hello all, Ive been trying to bleed my front brake on a 1999 txt250 and it's not going quite as planned! Ive tried the normal way of bleeding brakes with no luck, i've also tried reverse bleeding using a syringe which also didn't work. When trying the reverse bleeding the syringe wouldn't compress easily and I gave it a little bit of force and it pushed one brake piston right out :dunce: . just to note I had pushed both pistons right back in before attempting the reverse bleeding. The lever now doesn't do anything , it comes right back to the bars without any resistance. Im completly stuck on this one so any help is really appreciated

!

is the adjuster of the lever wound all the way out? the reason I ask is:

unless there is NO pressure on the master cylinder it wont let fluid back into the resevoir, which is why I think there is pressure against the syringe and the pistons were popped out.

to be sure, take the lever off completely and then reverse bleed it with a syringe. In theory the fluid should pass straight through into the master cylinder resevoir with ease. dont forget to take the excess fluid out of the resevoir though....

try that and see how you get on.

All the best

Tom

Edited by tombo46

Thanks for the reply, That was exactly the problem. I loosened it right off and it bled straight through :dunce: . I now have some brake pressure but the brakes are still not very good and very squeaky! I tried using some brake cleaner but it didn't really help. Is it an idea to bleed it again?? any ideas??

Turn your handle bars to the left to make sure the reservoir is at it's highest point and tap the brake line to make sure no bubbles are sticking to the inside of the line. you could cable tie the lever back to the bars overnight so any bubbles will filter through to the top and as for the squeak i assume a good wash with warm soapy water will get rid of any crud on the disk. Might not cure your problem but might help.

Cheers

Steve

If you have had any brake fluid at all on the pads they will have to be replaced with a fresh set. Keep trying on the bleeding as it usually is not an easy job to get all the air out. You might also need a master cylinder rebuild kit as that could be the whole problem.

I had to rebuild the front master on my '03; it was pretty cheap and very easy. I also had problems getting all the air out after the rebuild. I ended up finally getting it right by taking the caliper off the front wheel and securing it (I used my drill press vise - gently) so that the caliper was higher than the master, and the bleed screw was the highest point of the caliper. When I bled it this way, I got quite a few air bubbles out that I couldn't get out with the caliper on the bike. Good luck.

I also was able to rehab a set of pads with a small propane torch. I just heated them enough to burn the dried brake fluid off - they were good as new. I don't think this works for non-metallic pads.

Edited by experiment70