Rev 3 Over Revving

scotty97

When i shut off the throttle on my 2004 beta rev 3 the revs stay up and then gradullay wind down to tick over, on other bikes the revs drop as soon as you close the throttle. any ideas what could be causing this. air filter, plug etc all look ok

Have you checked the throttle cable is not sticking / binding or that the slide is dirty and causing the slide to close slowly.

(when the engine is off can you hear the throttle snap shut when you release the twist grip) :thumbup:

When you say "on other bikes" do you mean trials bikes or road/enduro bikes?

I was amazed at how slow the revs drop on my 2000 Rev3 compared to my 450cc enduro bike - apparently that's normal and I guess down to the heavy flywheel action?

If it's different to other trials bikes then you need to investigate further.

When i shut off the throttle on my 2004 beta rev 3 the revs stay up and then gradullay wind down to tick over, on other bikes the revs drop as soon as you close the throttle. any ideas what could be causing this. air filter, plug etc all look ok

hi there i was once told that if you had a small split in the rubber tube joining the carb to the engine this is what would happen, basicaly any air getting in by any other means than through the filter, i would just check it out i hope this helps

cheers 4 replies, checkd throttle cable, and throttle seems to snap shut ok when bike isnt running, no sticking. Bike defo revs on 4 a lot longer than the trials bike i saw in trial on sunday. (could prob count to ten in the time it takes 4 revs to drop). Any more things i could try?

cheers 4 replies, checkd throttle cable, and throttle seems to snap shut ok when bike isnt running, no sticking. Bike defo revs on 4 a lot longer than the trials bike i saw in trial on sunday. (could prob count to ten in the time it takes 4 revs to drop). Any more things i could try?

carb rubbers seemed ok. Il have a good look tomorow and double check 4 any splits

worn crank seals are another way air could be getting in but a bit harder to check! it should shut off straight away though so there must be some thing wrong somewhere

found a little slice in the rubber between carb and engine earlier, cant really tel if it goes all the way through the rubber and if its sucking air through it. Going to change that and hopefully that will cure the problem, if not il try adjusting the mixture.

Scotty

If there is an air leak in the rubber boot the bike would be running lean/crazy at

all RPM's not just coming down from idle.

When you snap the throttle shut the pilot jet is the only jet supplying fuel at that point.

If the bike was on a high rev before you shut it down the cylinder is looking for lots of fuel

and air as it winds down and sucking air like crazy.

It is not the mixture screw but rather the pilot jet it self. The idle air screw maybe out to far

also.

Been there down that........

BillyT :D

Cheers. Bike was revving high at tick over when i purchased it (and seemed to be revving high through range), adjusted tick over until revs sounded ok but then when you rev the bike and then shut the throttle, the revs take ages to drop. Im going to change rubber anyway due to the damage on it. Then i'l look at the pilot jet, BILLY, would i need to increase/decrease the size of the pilot jet, or can it be adjusted????? If it carries om like this i'l be an expert on carburetters!!! ha ha ha

Scotty

Adjust the idle screw down (in) low to afford/allow slow idle speed AFTER CHAINGING TO A LARGER PILOT JET.

The pilot jet should be a standard as a #30 I change mine to a number #35.

Check the number stamped onto the side of the pilot jet and tell us what it is.

Also disconnect the throttel cable from the throttle tube and see what this does?

Cheers

BillyT :D

Edited by BillyT

changed the rubber boot, adjusted the tick over, bike seems to rev fine now, and when u shut the throttle the revs drop nicely, but if u leave it idle 4 a couple of seconds and then open the throttle quickly it seems flat (coughs at the low revs) but then once revs r up a little, it revs fine. Any ideas?