Ty80..to Rebuild Or Not Rebuild?

pothole

Picked up a TY80 the other day for $50. It's pretty complete and in good shape. Original tires, seat and tank are in great shape. Pipe and guard are in good shape. Wheels are true and tight, etc. The problem is the connecting rod is broken and as many of you know, it's a little expensive to rebuild the lower end. Based on that, I'm starting to have second thoughts on jumping into this one...talk me in or out of taking the plunge on this little bike.

since you said $50, I assume you are in the US?

Prices of TY80 dropped dramatically about 5-8 years back as the modern kid bikes started to to get into the used pipeline. When I was looking fo my kids in the late 90's, the TY80 was the only option for kids to learn on. $500-800 was common, with most club 80's having a waiting list as to whose kid gets it next. I grabbed up any scrap 80 parts I could get.

By the time my kids outgrew, I sold one really nice one for $500. Still have another pretty nice one to sell, but I don't want it sold as kids 'dirt bike' where it will get trashed, so it sits in storage.

The modern water cooled ones are way better bikes, and lower seat height, lighter weight, less parent maintenance required (although the 80 is way simpler and cheaper to work on)

anyway, my reason for that is, unless you are doing it for nostalgia reasons, or for a parent child project (keeping in mind kids have less patience and grow faster than the project might get done), or as a fairly simple learning project for yourself, it may not be cost effective to fix it with new stuff and paying for crank rebuild.

IF the body work is good, I'd watch for a bottom end or parts bike or engine and go from there.

The GT and MX models are similar parts. Heads and cylinders and flywheels and carbs are different. The engine is easy to split. Change out the entire crank, bearings are <10 each at industrial supply houses, most seals (except the clutch pushrod) also industrial supply. Wisecon pistons and rings (except pins and small bearings I think had to source Yamaha), Vesrah gasket sets from dennis kirk were cheap. MX/GT gasket sets had different head gasket hole diameters, but can work in a pinch if the TY set is not available.

Tough little bikes, kid friendly, and beautiful lines I think, especially the later tank with the TY175 style paint.

Many good memories there.

kcj

I'd rebuild it,a rod kit is easy to get and fit,pretty much everything is available still from Yamaha.Once its done it will take another 30 yrs of abuse ! I bought one for my son a while back and did a complete job on the engine,it now runs a treat.

The new bikes may be better in some respects,but at the childs age that a ty80 fits,there is still a very strong case for them.

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards a rebuild. A spanking new '74 TY80 was my first dirt bike when I was 6, so there is a little nostalgia at work here...plus it's just such a damn cool little bike!

:moon: If you can take your time and do the work yourself , @ 50.00$ ,build it !!!! All the parts are out there and you may find , if your careful with what you spend , you may be able to break even or come out ahead in a few years . I've seen a few nice ones go for silly money !

And get the RYP TY80 nationals dvd , It'll make you happy to see just what one of the tough little beasties can do ...

I've got to get off my but and finish my boys ty 's surgery . (wheel/suspension transplant ...)

Do you have a youngster to love it ?

Glenn

post-1232-1241748735.jpg

Edited by axulsuv

clutch releasing spiral gear and arm are NLA from yam. and they break easily if the chain throws up into the front of the cavity area. push rod was available last time I checked but other parts not. so if you have those, they can be gold.