Inverness &dist Pre 65 Trial

gregrsv

Thanks to all who organised and observed, really enjoyed the event.

Good to see some new faces, and all the regulars.

Greeves gets the award for longest distance travelled to compete, again.

Ross

Hi from Madrid airport: Busy week for me travelling for trials to Scotland and now for business.

Yes B40RT it is a pleasure to race the Highland Classic and come all the way up to Inververness for it, will do it every year as it is one of my favourites trials in the calendar.

I am very shure in a few years there will be a waiting list to enter this event.

The motoclub designed a very nice and competitive trial, perfect sections for pre-65 and for old twinshocks, and also quite ok to do it with one of the later ones. 72 sections and a very nice route in the Scottish Highlands, real sport.

Thanks to the motoclub for this trial, Moffat family for their hospitality ("feet up Dave" for his room!!!!!). Chips you are number one.

Nice pics there!!!!!

Edited by Greeves

Great weekend and as usual a top notch trial even though I managed to get the highest score of the weekend ! Good mix of sections. Many thanks to all involved, Tommy, Malcolm, Alex, Dave and John and all the observers.

If you missed it look out for it next year and enter, you will love it.

Yes, just like to add also what an enjoyable weekend it was.

Got home from work on Friday and finished prepping bike, give the van a checkover for the 400-odd mile journey from Brum to Alvie, sort kit out, get tools together and load everything into van. It's now 11pm and time for bed.... Set alarm for 2am... Alarm goes off before head has even touched pillow. Sod it, is this really a good idea. Mash down a few rounds of toast with Golden Shread's finest, mug of tea and onto the M6 by 3am. Relieved to have a trouble free run out of the Midlands as believe me, I've been at a standstill on the M6 in a queue of traffic on more than one occassion at that time in the morning. Press on and soon passing the Lakes turn off. It's around this point that the signpost that says Carlisle 90 miles looms into view. Great, as once there, the next signpost says Glasgow 90 miles and it's at least another 90 after that. Not far to go then... Never mind, lots of CDs to play. Then the player packed up so it was Radio 2 after that as it was the only station which stayed in reception. Holy christ, whoever gave that **** Alan Carr a job on radio....... what an a***, a stuck CD sounds better than him. And then there was Paul O'Grady. Radio 2 has definitely sunk its standards. Luckily I missed Jonathon Ross' show.

Anyway, past Glasgow at around 7.30ish and starting to feel hungry. I'll pull over at a roadside cafe and have a proper breakfast I thought. Mile after mile, no cafe. I now know they don't exist north of Glasgow.... Get to Alvie around 9.30am. Trial doesn't start til 11am so time to go into Aviemore and get some breakfast. Find a roadside space big enough to park the van right outside a cafe. Result. Three cafes later and I still haven't found one that serves cooked breakfast - what is it about Scotland and cooked breakfasts and cafes..... the breakfasts in the bed and breakfasts and hotels are fantastic. Anyway cafe number 3 at least did sausage and egg sandwiches so two of those please and a mug of coffee and then ready for the trial. Walked back past cafe number one where a nice young lady was busy setting tables and chairs outside - this was really optimistic as it was p***ing down all morning.....

And so to the business end of the weekend, the trial. First few sections in the stream by the carpark to set things off, nothing silly but enough to make you think about lines on some and easily capable of stealing marks. Then up onto the hillside for a few more sections that were plotted around rock outcrops embedded into the hillside. Remainder of the sections were in the forest grouped in about 4 or 5 clusters connected by some nice forest tracks which let you play at enduros. This also brings the reality check that trials drums aren't as good as KTM discs at stopping so more than one 'moment' was experienced en route to sections. Great fun. The sections set in amongst the trees had a Lakes 2 day flavour about them (not as hard obviously) with roots and rocks becoming exposed with the passage of bikes and it was here that the major mark takers were situated. Sections 13, 14 and 15, 15 in particular, were very good and on older twinshocks really made you think about getting line and acceleration points sorted in the section recce. Get off line and that ancient suspension won't help you at all. It will stop you dead, no chance of recovery as the rules are proper - no-stop. The last 3 sections were back on the hillside just above the carpark and 16 was another tricky one to get right with a proper no-stop ride. 17 and 18 to round off the lap and back to the start for the punchcard change.

Day 2 had some sections replaced with new ones and some existing sections altered slightly for an increased variety over the weekend. The major mark takers were still in apart from 13 which was a shame (personal opinion only, not meant negatively) as it was a bitch to clean. The forest tracks were enjoyed again and the brake drums got another good warming in several places before lap 2 brought the event to a close. Load up the van, hit the burger van, then the road and home for 11pm.

Thoroughly enjoyable weekend with great banter between competitors. Good variety of bikes and really nice to see an Ulf Karson 247 Cota being used in anger and from what I saw quite effectively on the hard route. I can't remember the last time I saw a 70s Mont being used in a classic trial. A few early 70s Bults as well with some nice pre65 machinery. Beautiful scenery (as long as it isn't raining...) great ride around with good sections over 2 routes.

So, what puzzled me is why weren't there more riders from Scotland supporting it. If classic trials are at a premium up there (from what I've heard) why aren't classic enthusiasts riding this one. The two routes cover most abilities so most will be catered for. Where are they all? - especially given the number of pre65 riders that enter the Scottish 2 day. Get your bikes out and ride it and make the most of it whilst you can. Wish we had terrain like that down here.

I'd put the standard of sections somewhere between the better of the Sammy Miller series and the easier of the Traditional series, the greater percentage leaning more towards the Miller series. In other words, if your handy at expert level and you have a modern twinshock then preventing loss of marks will be more down to concentration than anything. For older bikes the sections are just about right on the A route with several that present a good test and to reflect that there is a pre77 class on the A route. Twinshocks can also ride the B route on a no award basis (I think) but who cares about awards, most importantly, if your ability suits the B route you can ride your twinshock. B route is perfect for pre65, although pre65 front runners in the traditional series would cope with the A route on their modernised bikes.

Thanks to the Inverness DMCC for staging the event. Definitely hope to ride it again next year and hopefully take some mates along too. If you want a nice pleasant weekend's trialling in a very pleasant setting then give it a try.

Nice report Woody, really missed being there this year despite my woes last year. As Big John has said already there are many riders and bikes for that matter don't see the light of day until the first weekend in may and then spend their time bitching about not getting a ride in the P65 in Kinlochleven. Can't comment on the TS boys to be honest. It's a cracking trial at a superb venue, can't understand why more folk don't have a go at it.

Very accurate and precise report on Alvie there Woody. Any criticism is always taken positively by the Inverness lads.

That Ulf Karlson Rep was sourced locally in Aviemore a few months ago and is owned by my friend Ali McArthur. It is an original bike still with the footrests as fitted by the Montesa factory!

Looks like we could max out next year, we will strive to keep the trial - "The Friendliest Classic Trial in Scotland"

Dates for your diary:

12/13th June 2010..

Big John

What a fantastic trial it was! It's the first time I've ridden it and it certanly won't be the last. Sections were spot on with a choice of A and B routes. They were all long traditional sections with more than enough to make you work. With two laps each day of 18 sections and a good long lap what more could you ask for? Very enthusiastic observers doing a great job on what would turn out to be long days - they were still smiling at the end of it - Thanks to all.

It makes me wonder why the pre '65 Scottish can be over subscribed and a trial like this is more or less ignored. All I can say is make the effort next year, you won't be disappointed. Again, thanks to all at the Inverness & District Club for running such a great event.

Mike :D

Yes, just like to add also what an enjoyable weekend it was.

Got home from work on Friday and finished prepping bike, give the van a checkover for the 400-odd mile journey from Brum to Alvie, sort kit out, get tools together and load everything into van. It's now 11pm and time for bed.... Set alarm for 2am... Alarm goes off before head has even touched pillow. Sod it, is this really a good idea. Mash down a few rounds of toast with Golden Shread's finest, mug of tea and onto the M6 by 3am. Relieved to have a trouble free run out of the Midlands as believe me, I've been at a standstill on the M6 in a queue of traffic on more than one occassion at that time in the morning. Press on and soon passing the Lakes turn off. It's around this point that the signpost that says Carlisle 90 miles looms into view. Great, as once there, the next signpost says Glasgow 90 miles and it's at least another 90 after that. Not far to go then... Never mind, lots of CDs to play. Then the player packed up so it was Radio 2 after that as it was the only station which stayed in reception. Holy christ, whoever gave that **** Alan Carr a job on radio....... what an a***, a stuck CD sounds better than him. And then there was Paul O'Grady. Radio 2 has definitely sunk its standards. Luckily I missed Jonathon Ross' show.

Anyway, past Glasgow at around 7.30ish and starting to feel hungry. I'll pull over at a roadside cafe and have a proper breakfast I thought. Mile after mile, no cafe. I now know they don't exist north of Glasgow.... Get to Alvie around 9.30am. Trial doesn't start til 11am so time to go into Aviemore and get some breakfast. Find a roadside space big enough to park the van right outside a cafe. Result. Three cafes later and I still haven't found one that serves cooked breakfast - what is it about Scotland and cooked breakfasts and cafes..... the breakfasts in the bed and breakfasts and hotels are fantastic. Anyway cafe number 3 at least did sausage and egg sandwiches so two of those please and a mug of coffee and then ready for the trial. Walked back past cafe number one where a nice young lady was busy setting tables and chairs outside - this was really optimistic as it was p***ing down all morning.....

And so to the business end of the weekend, the trial. First few sections in the stream by the carpark to set things off, nothing silly but enough to make you think about lines on some and easily capable of stealing marks. Then up onto the hillside for a few more sections that were plotted around rock outcrops embedded into the hillside. Remainder of the sections were in the forest grouped in about 4 or 5 clusters connected by some nice forest tracks which let you play at enduros. This also brings the reality check that trials drums aren't as good as KTM discs at stopping so more than one 'moment' was experienced en route to sections. Great fun. The sections set in amongst the trees had a Lakes 2 day flavour about them (not as hard obviously) with roots and rocks becoming exposed with the passage of bikes and it was here that the major mark takers were situated. Sections 13, 14 and 15, 15 in particular, were very good and on older twinshocks really made you think about getting line and acceleration points sorted in the section recce. Get off line and that ancient suspension won't help you at all. It will stop you dead, no chance of recovery as the rules are proper - no-stop. The last 3 sections were back on the hillside just above the carpark and 16 was another tricky one to get right with a proper no-stop ride. 17 and 18 to round off the lap and back to the start for the punchcard change.

Day 2 had some sections replaced with new ones and some existing sections altered slightly for an increased variety over the weekend. The major mark takers were still in apart from 13 which was a shame (personal opinion only, not meant negatively) as it was a bitch to clean. The forest tracks were enjoyed again and the brake drums got another good warming in several places before lap 2 brought the event to a close. Load up the van, hit the burger van, then the road and home for 11pm.

Thoroughly enjoyable weekend with great banter between competitors. Good variety of bikes and really nice to see an Ulf Karson 247 Cota being used in anger and from what I saw quite effectively on the hard route. I can't remember the last time I saw a 70s Mont being used in a classic trial. A few early 70s Bults as well with some nice pre65 machinery. Beautiful scenery (as long as it isn't raining...) great ride around with good sections over 2 routes.

So, what puzzled me is why weren't there more riders from Scotland supporting it. If classic trials are at a premium up there (from what I've heard) why aren't classic enthusiasts riding this one. The two routes cover most abilities so most will be catered for. Where are they all? - especially given the number of pre65 riders that enter the Scottish 2 day. Get your bikes out and ride it and make the most of it whilst you can. Wish we had terrain like that down here.

I'd put the standard of sections somewhere between the better of the Sammy Miller series and the easier of the Traditional series, the greater percentage leaning more towards the Miller series. In other words, if your handy at expert level and you have a modern twinshock then preventing loss of marks will be more down to concentration than anything. For older bikes the sections are just about right on the A route with several that present a good test and to reflect that there is a pre77 class on the A route. Twinshocks can also ride the B route on a no award basis (I think) but who cares about awards, most importantly, if your ability suits the B route you can ride your twinshock. B route is perfect for pre65, although pre65 front runners in the traditional series would cope with the A route on their modernised bikes.

Thanks to the Inverness DMCC for staging the event. Definitely hope to ride it again next year and hopefully take some mates along too. If you want a nice pleasant weekend's trialling in a very pleasant setting then give it a try.

I guess it was yourself that used the Ossa on the Saturday & B40 on the Sunday ? Did you have a problem or just for variety ?

As it was a 2 day trial it was a chance to use 2 bikes, one on each day, so I planned on taking the Ossa and the KT which both fall in the pre77 class. However, I've just got the BSA (C15, not B40) back together after some very lengthy work trying to straighten the tired old frame. So I took that too with the intention of trying it on some sections after the trial as the Manx classic is coming up and it has to be right for that.

So did one lap on the Ossa on Saturday, no problems with it apart from the new IRC rear tyre which has sidewalls so soft it was hard enough to ride it in a straight line in the field, never mind sections. They've really gone in the wrong direction with their tyres. So, decided to ride the second lap on the BSA as the sections looked a good test for it and would show up any problems. It performed well with the exception of the chain jumping the rear sprocket on section 15 I think. The rear wheel seems to be pulling out of line so have to look at that, but I decided to use it again on Sunday. All was well until about section 11? up on top of the hill. I stopped to take my rucksack off and it wouldn't restart. 15 minutes of fiddling and it still wouldn't go, I think it had an electical connection problem maybe. Decided to roll down the hill back to the carpark but when I stuck it in gear it fired up. Turned round, went back and rode the section but it misfired towards the ends cards and died. So, rolled back down to the carpark, got the KT out and finished the trial off on that. It's like a barge after the other two so it was like riding a different set of sections that time around...... Great fun though.