Broken Bleed Nipple

richard400

Hi

I have a 2006 250TXT and recently tried to bleed the rear brake but broke off the bleed nipple when trying to undo it (damned thing must be made of the world's softest steel). No problem, I thought, a little heat and an ezi-out will sort that out. And then the ezi-out broke off. The nipple thread was seized good and proper.

To cut a long story short I have had to drill it out. I think I may be able to re-tap the thread and fit a replacement standard (M6) nipple but if not I'm going to try to fit an M7 or M8 nipple. Does anyone have any experiece of this? Any do's and don'ts worth mentioning?

Any help would be appreciated as a replacement caliper is

Gday, no help to you but good luck drilling out the ezy-out. You may have to get it spark-eroded out, which may be the best way to do the job anyway. For what its worth, I never use ezy-outs, as they are more trouble than they are worth. If a bolt breaks with a spanner on it, there is no way the ezy-out will move it. Once it's out you will need to see what method they used to seal the bleeder, most bikes use a taper on the end of the bleeder which you'll need to reproduce in the larger size if you go that way. The other method uses a ball bearing against a flat ended nipple into the fluid passageway. Much easier, only if the passage is in the centre of the hole. For future preventative measures give the bleeder a lick of rubber grease before fitting to stop future corrosion.

Cheers,

Stork

has the nipple broken off flush with the caliper?if it is sticking out a little your best bet is to mig weld say an m8 nut over it and screw it out when it is still hot.bleed nipples are available from DAF TRUCKS in M8 thread,again you would need to machine it to fit the tapered seat in your caliper,good luck

Gents

Thanks for all your thoughts and views.

Having picked up a new rear caliper from BVM on Saturday I decided to just fit it. At the bottom of the hole where the nipple is fitted there is a small steel piece against which the bottom of the nipple sits to form a seal. In my over-exuberance with the drill on the original caliper I had ruined it. If this ever happens to you, you mustn't drill any deeper than 8mm or it's 'new caliper time'. (There may, of course, be a way of fixing it yet but I really don't have the time right now).

I was a bit surprised that the new caliper came complete - even including pads! A simple case of fit it, connect the hose, bleed it and away you go. I would rather have been able to buy just the piece I had ruined and then fitted all the bits from the original caliper and thereby save myself some money.

Anyway, I shall now be adding nipple greasing to my maintenance regime - every six months with some copper grease should do it.

Cheers

Richard