In Praise Of Sherco

bikespace

Credit where it's due - I'm going to tempt fate and say how bloody good my 04 290 has been, as it reaches it's first birthday.

One full year of competition done including all the Welsh Nationals, a few Novogars, the Manx 2 Day, and club trials every week and it's been a pretty cheap year:

Broken one brake lever

Bent the gear lever, which after buying a new one, bent back OK so I have a spare.

Wheel bearings replaced as usual.

Apart from that it's been consumables (tyres/oil/fuel/filters).

Incidentally, chain and sprockets are not on the list, because I haven't reached the end of the adjustment (without taking a link out). I'm convinced this is down to using WD40 only on the chain all year. A year on the same chain and sprockets seems unbelievable to me???

I have no irrational loyalty to Sherco. I love the way GasGas rides, like the bulletproof Beta and Montesa and will have a good look around when buying my next one, but this year certainly goes in favour of the Sherco.

A good year!

Edited by Bikespace

Interesting to hear Bikespace.

THats just the kind of stuff we should all be posting. Much more usefull than just saying "my bikes the best"

I've kept a pretty detailed log on whats happened to my Beta Rev3 2002 (bought it in '03)...and I've gotta say that its lasted pretty well too....BUT..I'm not doing the regular competitions that you are!

Keep up the good info! :banana:

Not really on the theme of the post but how does wd40 make a chain and sprockets last longer. Are you comparing it to a particular aerosol chain lube. We would only use wd40 if we had nothing else. I can see that it penetrates the joints better but the lubricating qualities are not up to the job. Mark T

I do use a fair bit of it, for instance on the Manx 2 day every time I refuelled I gave it a quick spray.

My chain always looks immaculate (even if the bike doesn't) no dust, grit, **** to gradually grind things away. It always looks as clean as a new chain.

It obviously won't stick around on the chain as long, but it does seem to have worked.

Credit where it's due - I'm going to tempt fate and say how bloody good my 04 290 has been, as it reaches it's first birthday.

One full year of competition done including all the Welsh Nationals, a few Novogars, the Manx 2 Day, and club trials every week and it's been a pretty cheap year:

been fighting this for too long and just have to do it

'95 TYZ on it's 9th birthday, several SSDT, numerous centre trials, nationals, club trials, even subjected to some 'throttle to the stop' road racing around Scottish twisties and so far;

still on original piston and rings

original clutch

engine never been apart

never loses water

original shock and s/arm bushes

bashplate and all of its bolts line up perfectly

still does 80mph and a bit

It has, finally this year, been treated to some wheel bearings. Hadn't bloody well budgeted for them this year though...

Sorry - just couldn't resist it :banana::banana::P

Good Call :banana:

Cheers Bikespace - taken in the spirit in which it was intended.. :banana:

How about this then

1975 Ossa 250 on it's 29th birthday. Lakes 2 day and Loch Lomond 2 day in 2001, zillions of classic championship rounds over the last 15 years, loads of centre trials (sometimes entered somewhat over ambitiously considering the lack of clutch and brakes and the nature of modern sections..... ;) ) zillions of club trials etc. etc. In other words it's been battered.

Excellent in its youth but dementure and frailty setting in. Recently;

Too many engine rebuilds to think about. Probably more strip-downs than the tears I've shed...

A voracious appetite for pistons. Now on it's third liner and up to maximum again. Probably single-handedly responsible for wiping out Millers entire stock of pistons and rod kits over last few years.

Broken frame

7 broken rear brake plates

3 broken front brake plates

Several duff ignitions

Hideous appetite for swing arm bushes

Clutch with more of an aversion to disengaging than Honda have for releasing their 4T bog wheeler.

Brakes that actually make you accelerate when applied, the type of acceleration that is only matched by the resultant passage of #### through the bowels and widening of the eyes

Repeatedly breaking or bending gear lever as the engine is wider than all of the rolly pollys standing side by side.

A recent propensity to pink and knock for no apparent reason causing more detonation than found in the average working rock quarry - culminating in the mother of all blow-ups at this weekend's Classic Experts which I had been so looking forward to and didn't bloody well finish.

It is being pensioned off herewith.

Who said Gassers were the least reliable :P

• 1 year later...

Well....It's another year on, so time to tempt fate again.

My 04 Sherco has now done two years - engine not been split yet. All the Novogars, Manx 2 day, Lakes 2 Day, various other club trials etc.

Since last year I've bought:

Rear wheel - just needed a spare

Rear mudguard and stickers - old one looking very tatty.

The usual - oils/filters/bearings/plugs etc.

Chain Sprockets.

Brake pads front and rear.

I still think you just can't beat that.

And to add to the WD40 comments from last year, I'm still on my second set of chain/sprockets (2 years) so averaging more than a year a set.

At my weight, it's not getting a particularly easy time. I think that's enough of an indication that WD40 is the way to go.

I'm thinking of using WD40 on my boots - surely a pair of boots should last longer than chain and sprockets :rolleyes: Maybe it just suggests I'm pushing the thing more than I'm riding it :unsure:

Edited by bikespace