Works Bikes And Prototypes

martinm

Inspired by the photos of Big John's "works" Honda that were posted recently, I was wondering if anyone had any full works bikes or one off prototypes that never made it to mass production?

To kick off...here's some photo's from Italian engineer Marco Mantovani.

Back in 1984, Marco was asked by SWM to develop mono system for there 350 Jumbo. It was never produced, as the factory went bankrupt shortly afterwards. The twin disc set up was a few years ahead of its time when compared to say a Fantic 303 of 1987 vintage.

Anyone else got anything interesting in the corner of their garage?

Martin

Love this sort of stuff. In the 60s and (for me) 70s, having a works bike fitted with special bits sitting in the same queue to a section as a club rider just added to the interest and enjoyment of competing. The works parts or next year's development bits always seemed more visible then than they are now and always captured the imagination. Works Sherpas with different airboxes, 247 Monts with prototype 348 motors, Prototype Gripper which was half Gripper, half MAR, Tony Gorgot on the 330 Mont prototype in SSDT etc. One-off works bikes like the short/long stroke Hondas. Privateers did their own thing too, Don Smith's Stag, Steve Wilson, Bultaco. I guess the last of the true works specials were the RTL Hondas. Most factory bikes just look the same as over the counter bikes now. I know they aren't before anyone steps in, but they don't really look any different.

Sadly I don't have any pics to contribute but I'm hoping others do. :banana:

Tim....the linkage system Marco designed eventually ended up on the SVM's, but the bike shown was up and running while the SWM factory was still in business. They even produced a water cooled version of this bike!!!!!!

Here's a close up of the shock mounting, unfortunately I dont have a close up of the linkage.

Martin