2002 Gas Gas Txt Pro Questions

needlongerlegs

Hi Guys, n Girls,

I have just bought myself a 2002 250 TXT Pro

Did my first trial last Saturday fantastic!

Clutch was dragging badly so today I drained it and replenished with 5 - 30 symbiotic Castrol to 3/4 way up eye glass about 400 ml

I've see 350 and 550 mentioned as capacity for gear oil

Hope this is right the previous owner said that the bike has 2003 clutch and gear box is this a common mod?

Second Observation the rear brake is very sharp resting foot on it lock rear wheel, is this normal pads look good, should I get used to it or investigate?

Any advise gratefully received, could some one give me a run down on differences between pro and non pro version

Graham

Sounds like you are about right with the fluid volume - 2/3 on site glass is common.

I would say the change to the mineral oil compatible clutch seal is common - if that's what he mean. there were some upgrades to the tranny and clutch as well, but not sure anyone would do it unless they lunched the original.

If drag is a problem, check your clutch pak/finger height specs (swollen plates if older clutch materials?) and use ATF-F or GM AutotrakII. Some use less fluid as well (350cc) - helps reduce drag.

If he says it has a 2003 gear and clutch hous it means he has replaced the engine casing. Probably because the original has broke. The 2003 rooms sligtly more oil and is strenghthened round the lower engne mount. It is rare to see a 2002 that the lower engine mount has not broken.

Dont know the oil you used, but if it is synthetic change it to either clean mineral oil or ATF as soon as possible. The synthetic oil mixed with brake fluid from the clutch and coolant from the water pump will destroy your clutch fibres.

Difference between Pro and non Pro? Everything? :D Seriously I will guess about 20 Kg is the most important diference in addition to different steering angle.

-Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Graham

As i said When you purchased my bike it had an 03 gearbox cluster and clutch fitted under warantee,As the 02 gear clusters tended to brake as this one did. When i rebuilt the engine last year i fitted a new clutch pack and the bike has only done about six trials since. Castrol GTX 5w30 is the oil that was in the bike when you picked it up (this was the oil recommended to me by our local trials dealer) and which i have used throughout.

I always used to ride around for about ten minutes at the start of a trial and leave it running as i checked out the first few sections to warm up the engine/oil. and found the clutch wouldn't drag after that.

If you need any more advice please feel free to phone or email me

PAUL

Hi Graham, Paul,

GTX is certainly not the best solution for the gearbox oil on this bike. Best to drain the oil and either use a straight 10 weight mineral oil, or an ATF rated to Dexron III, 350ml.

The rear brakes on most trials bikes are usually like what you describe, except when wet. It's all fine.

Bye, PeterB.

Hi Paul,

All seems sorted now (Garden Test Ride) thank goodness for Ipone neighbors just love that strawberry smell LOL

I dropped the oil out washed the plates with petrol and dexron and refilled with Motul Dexron Gear Oil about 400 ml (same as I used in the Pampera),

Also fitted a new float needle n seat care of Mike at MotoMerlin (save me carrying round a rock to clump the carb LOL)

Probably go to Raydon or Corton for a test drive this week if I get time.

All the best Graham

Graham

If you have time this weekend we(NSJMcc)are running a trial at Rendham Suffolk just off A12 ( see NSJ Mcc forum for details or phone me)

I have found the file of receipts/invoices for all parts,work carried out on your Gas Gas sins 27/02/03 which I will pass on to you.

Paul