Front Tyres

stuessenhigh

Hi all,

Just been trying to fit a tubeless tyre to my Montesa 2000 (front). Only just bought the bike. Used to have a tube in it, so I left the tube in, but the tubeless tyre wont seem to bead on that rim.

Are they VERY different...(tube and tubeless front tyres??) I thought it wouldnt matter.

AND..in that case...could I fit a tube type front tyre, on my Beta Rev 3 that is meant to have a tubeless front tyre ;):lol:

Might seem like a strange question, but tyres are VERY hard to come by here in HK, so you often have to "grab what you can"

I have now however, officially given up trying to get the tubeless tyre to fit on the front of the MOntesa....after much sweat and swearing!! :lol:

Well...the front tyre that I've been TRYING to fit to the Montesa...definately says tubeless on it. But the one on my Beta says TUBE TYPE on it. SO I guess (judging by the imposibility to get the tubeless one on the 2000 MOnt) that the two tyres are slightly different ;):lol: ..even though from the outside they both just look like regular Mitchelins

Fitted a TUBE TYPE front tyre to the MOntesa today, and it still didnt seem to work that well. Such a long time since I did this, I cant remember if the front one (with a tube) should also "pop" twice, like the back one (tubeless) does when it beads. ;):lol:

If anyone would care to reasure me I would be very gratefull. :lol:

Stu, just have a look around the tire and you'll be able to tell if it's all the way up on the bead, or run your finger around. You'll feel a "dip" if it's not on. It will be pretty clear just by looking at it.

Cheers JTT...

It looks and feels all the way on, but when I let it down to about 6psi..(what I ride at)..it slips back into the rim.

Like I said its ages since I changed a front tyre..and I cant remember if they pop twice like when the rear one beads. I guess being a tube type tyre, it doesnt need to pop??..mine didnt but it still dont seem right ;)

Hi Stu,

I had a pesky front tire on my Techno a few years back. I reseated that tire at least 6 times. What I found out in the process is that tubeless tires are slightly smaller diameter at the bead. I can't remember the source, but the info was supposedly from the tire industry. They require a ridge on the rim to keep the bead from slipping to the inside. This doesn't happen as much on the rear since the rim is wider. What I do not understand is why dealers send tubless front tires to customers when they know that a tubeless front setup is fairly rare. You can try grinding out the inside of the bead, but I would get a new tube type tire.

Concerning your post a couple of weeks ago about the clutch cover gasket on your Beta- Mine has worked fine since I reseated it a few months back. I was the one who sent you details about the process. Apparently, the difference between what you did and what I did is that you used silicone sealant and I used liquid gasket cement (the kind in the can with the brush in the cap). I did not even use a new gasket- I just cleaned the old one up with spray carb cleaner to remove the oil. I doubt that the case pressure has anything to do with it. I would regularly check the case screws, since they seem to loosen from excessive skid plate slamming ( my normal riding style)

I hope this helps.

Hi Ron...

Yep...that helps ALOT. So far my new gasket has been in for a couple of weeks with no problems. BUT I couldnt find the gasket cement you talk about. I KNOW you can get it here..will look a bit harder for it NEXT time!!!

Regarding the tyre. I did exactly what you said...I gave up on that tubeless one which had been given to me anyway...and then used a tube type one with no problems.

SInce that...looking around the bikes here...I cant see ANY (even new bikes) with a tubeless type front tyre. Starting to think the one that had been given me had dropped from the moon or something. I will DEFINATELY never buy a tubeless front! ;):lol: