Pro's Diet...how Does It Differ From Regular Diet?

I believe that Jeremy Magrath (7 time Supercross champion) eats lots of protein, when he can. I've seen Marc Colomer (3 world titles, counting indoors) being fed pasta in a section, by his minder.

I believe pro body builders (not sure how relevant their program is to trials success, though) eat protein, protein and one more thing (...oh yea, now I remember: protein!) :-)

One poster here said a good BALANCE (good word for trials anyway) between carbs and proteins helped him. I'm about a 40/36/24 ratio of carbs/proteins/oils in my diet. Your suggestions?

What's the diet of a pro rider?

Edited by Funtrials

Well seen toni bou eating a pot noodle so thats ya pasta sorted (not really healthy though)

Common sense stuff really and if your searching for answers as to could your ridin improve if you improve your diet i think you need to think again unless your a 20 stone whale in which case losing weight would help. Perhaps focus on technique and practice and who knows coupled with loads more practice you will feel better and ride better.

Just a thought dude.

I believe that Jeremy Magrath (7 time Supercross champion) eats lots of protein, when he can. I've seen Marc Colomer (3 world titles, counting indoors) being fed pasta in a section, by his minder.

I believe pro body builders (not sure how relevant their program is to trials success, though) eat protein, protein and one more thing (...oh yea, now I remember: protein!) :-)

One poster here said a good BALANCE (good word for trials anyway) between carbs and proteins helped him. I'm about a 40/36/24 ratio of carbs/proteins/oils in my diet. Your suggestions?

What's the diet of a pro rider?

Most of the diets I've looked through have been pretty poor (but they're far better riders than I'll ever be :thumbup:), supercross riders in the states that I've seen tend to eat pretty good but for every rider that fuels themselves properly theirs lots that chuck anything and everything in. I'd suggest everyone could do better 'fueled' correctly but others would debate it. One thing thats noticeable though is recovery times both from training/riding and injury. A few premiership footballers I've worked with haven't suffered any broken bones or knee problems since they changed the quality of their diet. Your cells are constantly regenerating so if your drinking fluorescent sports drinks thats what your body is building itself out of so its no wonder sports people degenerate rapidly.

In my opinion most sports people are fed far to much carbohydrate (particularly footballers) hence being injury prone as sugar causes the body to scavenge calcium from elsewhere (usually the skeleton as its not as important as other stores). They don't suffer with excess weight because of the intense (burntout) training, once they retire a lot pile in the pounds as their often hooked on carb binges.

Diet is as individual as your fingerprint to be honest so what works for one may cause poor results in another. Unprocessed foods are the best way forward but in terms of protein/fat and carb ratios I'd suggest starting with 50% carbs and 50% protein in each meal/snack. Keep a diary of your reaction to the meal size and remember its fuel so it should power you.

If you eat excess carbs your likely to have a massive surge of energy before your blood sugar crashes, too much protein and you'll be lethargic (like most people after xmas dinner). Get the right balance and you'll get a good steady supply of energy for a few hours. Think of it like an engine, you give it the right fuel so it works right.

Another handy tip I use with people is to buy a cheap blood sugar monitor and test after meals. I like people to stay around 5 but have often seen people shoot up to 12 from a slice of bread alone. The same person ate the same bread with cheese (fat/protein) the next day and maintained a rather more respectable 6.

Rather complicated I'm afraid like training, give me a shout if your unsure though and I'll try and clarify anything for you.

Well seen toni bou eating a pot noodle so thats ya pasta sorted (not really healthy though)

Common sense stuff really and if your searching for answers as to could your ridin improve if you improve your diet i think you need to think again unless your a 20 stone whale in which case losing weight would help. Perhaps focus on technique and practice and who knows coupled with loads more practice you will feel better and ride better.

Just a thought dude.

I was HOPING to "eat my way into a national championship", oh well. What's this thing called "practice" that you refer to? :thumbup:

I'm not exactly a "whale", but more of a "walrus".

Seriously, though, good advice about common sense...I think one thing I can do is simply try to increase the nutritional content of my foods, such as replace TV-dinner potatoes/corn with fresh broccoli, and potato chips with salads, etc.

I am starting to lose a good amount of weight, fortunately.

Edited by Funtrials

hey

is verry important to drink enough (water) when you feel thirsty its allready to late,

its more important in summertime but even in winter most people don't drink enough just little bits (like tenis players do)

regards bob

Ryan Hughs was the first off road rider I became aware of paying real attention to his diet, lifestyle and training as he started taking the same certifications as me. He now uses it in training other elite motocross riders most notably Robbie Maddison who dropped from 175 pounds to 159 since the 2008 X Games following a gluten free and completely organic diet. I guess with the sort of stuff he's doing he doesn't want anything leaving to chance, and needs the best chance of holding together should things go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent feedback. Toni Bou look out! ;)

For getting enough carbs I've narrowed it down to four choices:

1. Powerbars (the thick paste kind of bar.) Something like 42 grams of carbs per US Gov't sized serving, which is about the most carbs I've ever seen on those Gov't labels. I can eat it before each loop in a trial.

2. Specialized athlete-designed carb powdered mix I buy in a health-food store, mixed in my drinking water (can drink it during, and before, the trial...very quick)

3. Pasta. I've seen Colomer eating it during a trial, and many people recommend it.

4. Bananas (or other fruit??)

What are your thoughts on which of these four I should choose?

Edited by Funtrials

• 5 months later...

Best diet for the levels alll us guys are at is one that will give long term energy (so thats your carbs, pasta etc). And anything that keeps you in a positive frame of mind and not feeling depressed where you havent eaten well etc. That will give you a happy ride and without feeling exhausted at the end and start dropping silly marks as you have mentally given up.