Problems With 08/09 Gas Gas Radiators

spike123

Hi All, Would like to know if anybody else out there has experienced problems with leaking radiators, I know two local guys who both have 6 and 8mth old 125 and 250 gassers which have recently had to have new radiators fitted.It appears that wear from the fan rubbing has caused the units to leak...Wondered if this was a design fault as it appears that the new raga,s have a different set up in the way that the fan is mounted to the radiator......Any feed back appreciated

My friends 08 Gas Gas 300 had a rad leak problem as well. It was replaced. His new Raga came with a different rad. They have fixed the problem now, hopefully. I believe it's another company making the rads now. There has been quite a few leaky rad issues on those bikes.

Edited by pillar

I was speaking to a gas gas rep in Fort William this year and speaking about my 09 300. He asked me if I had had any problems with the rad which I hadn't. He said that there was an issue with leaks but I dont remember it being anything to do with the fan rubbing through. IF they know about it I would imagine its a warrantee issue. They are usually pretty good about faults like this.

heard that the '09 (which I think is same as '08 - Behr ?) can spring leaks around filler cap neck / header area, I guess stress related. Indeed recommended to beef it up with some liquid metal / epoxy etc.

I have not done this, but not experienced any issues (yet !)

The problem is with the Surround on the fan. It basically touches the radiator at the top and bottom of the radiator and when the fans run and cause vibration in the cowl, it is known to gently rub away at the rad pipes. If you look at the radiator from the side you can see that the surround is fixed by one rivet each side. Looking at the top the plastic goes across the radiator to the other side.

I have seen two fixes. The first is to remove a millimetre across the top and bottom of the cowl but leaving a Lip on the side that sits on the outside frame of the Radiator leaving a Gap across the tubes. The Other is to pull the fan cowl back and use two rivets on each side to fix the cowl just slightly back off the Radiator itself.

The problem was pointed out to me by Mike Jennings who had one go on him due to the rubbing. He then worked out the "trimming" fix. I also know quite a few other Gas Gas riders who had the same problem. NYL's was modified about a month after we got it.

Edited by Telecat

Just replaced mine last week on my 08 =(

I was trailing and blew my engine up cos all the fluid had drained out and the engine overheated. Got a second hand one from kelcoat so hopefully should be ok for a while =]

Tom