One Step Further

dixie

Now this might make a few people think, Just a suggestion though.

With the hopefully all encompassing return to no stop wouldnt it be nice if all the classes and routs went sensible aswel, we could have trials with one rout everone in together ,like the good old days, with maybe one or two hard sections per lap for the hot dogs and the rest all rideable .

Imagine a trial where you actually new how well you rode ,you could map you progress and the observers would have it a bit easyer aswel.

If the trial was set out as an expert trial ,let both of them have a ride without joe average paying good money for them to do so ,I know some of you will say we would not get anyone good enough to ride the championships , but they dont ride them now.

Bring back big trials with no queues, when i was a boy (130 years ago) you regularly had 100/200 riders with road work and no queues , well none like you get now because the sections did not require you to take 5 mins to lighn up on a slab or climb .

Is the preference for stop/no stop an age thing?

Younger riders seem to prefer 'stop' but older ones generally want a return to 'no stop.'

What has been lost visually in the 'stop' is the kind of flowing riding much admired by the older enthusiast.

The 'stop' rider has terrific skill for aligning the bike to get as near to a right angle as possible before steps, but it is a bit boring to watch the build up.

I disagree about queues there have always been sections long and slow or with difficult exits that have caused queues but somehow a road based trial

often strung out the riders more and reduced bunching.

Is the preference for stop/no stop an age thing?

Younger riders seem to prefer 'stop' but older ones generally want a return to 'no stop.'

What has been lost visually in the 'stop' is the kind of flowing riding much admired by the older enthusiast.

The 'stop' rider has terrific skill for aligning the bike to get as near to a right angle as possible before steps, but it is a bit boring to watch the build up.

I disagree about queues there have always been sections long and slow or with difficult exits that have caused queues but somehow a road based trial

often strung out the riders more and reduced bunching.

The young un's will prefer stop and hop if the majority of trials they have ridden are scored that way, to them it's the norm, those 0ver 35 yrs will have ridden both and many are seeing that the sport before all this trick riding was more enjoyable, easier to plot a section and had more participation at both club and world level.

I don't know how many rules changes there has been since I started riding trials, but it's a lot, and I don't think one change has improved the sport.

The wrapping round the box does look rather special with the fancy bikes and mega sections, but once you open the box it's all packing material and rather empty.

Now this might make a few people think, Just a suggestion though.

With the hopefully all encompassing return to no stop wouldnt it be nice if all the classes and routs went sensible aswel, we could have trials with one rout everone in together ,like the good old days, with maybe one or two hard sections per lap for the hot dogs and the rest all rideable .

Imagine a trial where you actually new how well you rode ,you could map you progress and the observers would have it a bit easyer aswel.

If the trial was set out as an expert trial ,let both of them have a ride without joe average paying good money for them to do so ,I know some of you will say we would not get anyone good enough to ride the championships , but they dont ride them now.

I'm afraid that, as much as I'd like them to be, single route trials will never become the norm, there's just too big a difference between the top riders and the rank and file.

Even on our B route, where no-one hops and bops their bike around, last week the winner was on seven and the last place man was on 98. Imagine asking all of the riders to ride the same route. You either have more than one rider on zero or you completely demoralise the beginners/wobblers.

I understand that years ago we only had one route and everyone rode it, but back then the machines were more of a leveller.

Dixie, your on another planet mate, the gap is way bigger now than ever,one route trials would be a disaster, you'd have 20 riders on zero,most on 100 plus and the rest over 200

Exactly

I rode a BTC in 82 and didn't five every section finished in time and went to work the next day. I am probably no worse a rider now have an infinately better bike but would not even reach the ends cards on the easy route exp B at any section last week at brimham. Trials is just the same when you start as it was 30 years ago, but the top riders at the top level, from centre trial up are way way way ahead of what they were.

One route no way, excepting maybe a club trial or a specific level event.

Even the classic series has two routes now.

This subject has been debated long and often, and perhaps the best example of all riders on the same loop

same line is the Scottish - this is also none stop. - I agree that trials events can't return to how things were

"In the old days" - However, I think there is room for both types of events ( after all this is happening now)

We recently plotted a Canadian Championship with everybody on the same loop riding the same sections,

(with 4 lines for splits) - we had no complaints but it did take a lot of work and a lot of thought to get it right.

Dixie, your on another planet mate, the gap is way bigger now than ever,one route trials would be a disaster, you'd have 20 riders on zero,most on 100 plus and the rest over 200

Well leave it as it is then with * riders in a world champs Duh wake up and smell the coffee ,If you had 20 riders on clean then they would all enter the cahmps and be in with a chance if every center had ten entrants in the british championships it would actually be a championship.

Bums on seats ,,

I can only speak as one coming back to trial after a 35 year lay off, and one of the most encouraging thing I have found is the choice of routes. I remember those " one route section trials and also remember the huge numbers of entries at every trial, even closed to club. I remember well that us young ones then had a massive steep learning curve which caused endless machine damage and was quite demoralising, we would just ask the observer to give us a five in some sections where we had no chance at all.. I very much like the idea of riding Sunday and going to work on Monday with a machine in one piece and being able to compete at a level which suits my ability and move up when ready.

I have a lot to learn with the new bikes and I would really like to do that gently, competing with myself to be honest, building up confidence along the way and above all having a bit of fun, without the stress I can get between Monday and Friday.

each to their own but I welcome the choice of routes.

In last years OK Supreme Long Distance Trial we had one route. You would think that a trial set out for trail and enduro bikes would only need one route wouldn't you?

Eleven riders (from 120 entered) got around for ZERO!

One rider had a slow special test plus he dropped a single dab and finished 17th....... on ONE!

Far too easy you say.

Actually most riders found it a challenge and some lost over 100. For them it was too HARD.

This year I will be setting out two routes. And this is a trail bike trial where the machine is a limiting factor.

In last years OK Supreme Long Distance Trial we had one route. You would think that a trial set out for trail and enduro bikes would only need one route wouldn't you?

Eleven riders (from 120 entered) got around for ZERO!

One rider had a slow special test plus he dropped a single dab and finished 17th....... on ONE!

Far too easy you say.

Actually most riders found it a challenge and some lost over 100. For them it was too HARD.

This year I will be setting out two routes. And this is a trail bike trial where the machine is a limiting factor.

The machine should be the limiting factor but you know aswel as I that some peoples trail bike is a trials bike with lights and anothers is a 1200 gs bmw not the same leauge,but if you want riders set it out for the majority, if you had 50 people on 50 marks that was spot on ,What we are talking about is even at club level now the winner will be on 20/30 and second place 50 third 100 ,and mister average goes home half dead with a smashed up bike.

What makes it worse is having done some classic and twinshock rounds you remember why you rode in the first place FUN,nice rideable sections and everone having a good time .