Pre 65 Trials "rules" ?

fish06

Sorry if it's a bit basic or has been asked before but........ is there a set of rules that pre 65 bikes have to follow or do different clubs have their own? I couldn't find anything on the ACU site, in fact couldn't find much apart from the Yorkshire Classic Trials site (good site). Anybody help? Thanks.

if your bike conforms to yorkshire classic rules it will be pretty well accepted anywhere , they even require a rear frame loop..

Most clubs just say it must be in keeping with the spirit of the origionals ..CAN OF WORMS OPENED.....

If you Google 'pre 65 trials Scottish' you will find a pdf file from Edinburgh & District Motor Club Ltd Pre 65 Scottish 2 Day Trial, which gives guidance on eligiblilty of machines for that event. The significant issue I think is the use of later forks and carbs which doesn't seem to be a problem for many clubs south of the border down Yorkshire way!! The Yorkshire Classic club do appear to have a very realistic approach, which they are to be commended for, as it makes the riding of some bikes all the more enjoyable if they can be recarbed. Long may they continue.

If you Google 'pre 65 trials Scottish' you will find a pdf file from Edinburgh & District Motor Club Ltd Pre 65 Scottish 2 Day Trial, which gives guidance on eligiblilty of machines for that event. The significant issue I think is the use of later forks and carbs which doesn't seem to be a problem for many clubs south of the border down Yorkshire way!! The Yorkshire Classic club do appear to have a very realistic approach, which they are to be commended for, as it makes the riding of some bikes all the more enjoyable if they can be recarbed. Long may they continue.

The Pre65 Scottish Two Day is fairly unique in that it has stuck to it's guns and that has to be applauded. It is massively oversubscribed and they prefer original machines as opposed to fiddle bikes (there has been a long arguement on here before and I'm not trying to resurrect it!)

The Scottish demands that British bikes have period carbs that means no Mark2 Amal or foreign carbs. No four stud BSA forks as they were not available until 1969. It is after all a Pre-65 Scottish!

Many riders keep a "Scottish" carb all set up for their bikes in the hope of a ride at Kinlochleven, ready to bolt on and test in April, then revert to their modern instrument for the rest of the season.

There is a Two day in Scotland that doesn't place so much stress and that is my club's annual Highland Classic, many different classes including twinshocks, read signature below for the dates next year!

Big John

(ps..would love you to bring up your mod.10 Bultaco to Alvie - fish06!)

Edited by Big John

"Must be in keeping with the spirit of the originals"

I can see that might lead to some rather interesting disagreements! :lol:

All the rules I've since found seem a little vague, no wonder there's some very "special" pre-65's on the go.

"Must be in keeping with the spirit of the originals"

All the rules I've since found seem a little vague, no wonder there's some very "special" pre-65's on the go.

Not sure about vague - plain stupid and inconsistent I'd say - Yorkshire Classic for example will allow and overbored/stroked Cub (not possible pre 1965 with the pistons/parts they are using now) to use a Dellorto carburettor, something that is prohibited everywhere else. But you can't even move the shock shock position on a C15 - did no-one own a hacksaw and gas bottles pre 1965..... Why should Cubs be favoured for choice of carburettor?

Pre65 Sottish puts a lot of emphasis on the silhouette approach - it has to look period. They don't allow tubeless rims/tyres even though the tyre is still black and round like a tubed type. Tubeless rims look the same as tube type unless you are closer than 5 feet, early ones actually look the same. You can however have 2009 nice light, shiny billet hubs which look just like their pre 1965 counterparts - big, made of steel, black or silver paint and heavy....

Whole thing is a nonsense. The best thing you can do is check with the clubs you are most likely to be riding with as attitudes change from lax to lenient to don't care. Most people are sensible at club level and don't turn up with a Cub/James/whatever with a Sherco front end. It's generally only the pre65 Scottish that causes real arguments. Manx Classic for example are far more pragmatic.

The ACU don't govern all of the classic clubs so you won't really find rules on their website - a lot of them are AMCA. At club level the ACU leave it to individual clubs. They govern the two national series, Traditional and Miller and each of those has eligibility guidelines.

CHANCER........ :lol:

Well he would get a ride at Alvie, there is no way a Bultaco will get accepted at the Pre65 Scottish, the organisers have tightened up on that element.

I think it was Enrique Carbonnell from Spain that rode a Sherpa N a couple of years ago, but it was as good if not better than the model 10 Sherpa that S H miller developed.

Even the original Montesa Trial 250 dates from only 1966, there were about 3 or 4 prototypes made, not available on general sale, before D R Smith developed the first "Cota" which was 1968 (UMV 10F) for the factory. Christian Desnoyers from France rode a very similar one in the 1968 or 1969 SSDT.

As for Ossa, they didn't have a trials bike until 1967 either.

End of...

Big John

Great picture on the front of CDB this week showing what I feel Pre 65 trials is all about, then delve further into this issue and look at the whizzy Pre 65/70 Bantam.

Great as it looks and clever as it is........ Should they compete against each other or should it be up against twinshocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great picture on the front of CDB this week showing what I feel Pre 65 trials is all about, then delve further into this issue and look at the whizzy Pre 65/70 Bantam.

Great as it looks and clever as it is........ Should they compete against each other or should it be up against twinshocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, yes Metisse, I have that mag here, I assumed the guy on the front cover on the Ariel was an English bloke, when I looked up number 9 in the programme, apparently he's Scottish!

Now I certainly don't profess to know everyone in Scotland, but one of my tasks is to record all trials results up here in Jockland, so I do recognise the names.

I've never seen this guy at any other event nor seen his name appear in any Scottish trials results over at least the last five years! I could be wrong of course?

Maybe he's just one of those chaps who ride once a year then??? :mellow:

That wee red Bantam looks wonderful, the creator must be justly proud of his handywork and I genuinely applaud his skill... just one thing wrong with it... it isn't much like a proper Pre-65 bike is it? I would ride something like that as a twinshock or special. He should bring it to Alvie (no harm plugging oor local Pre65 & twinshocker trial is there), we would find a class to put it in!

Big John

Edited by Big John

Hmmm, yes Metisse, I have that mag here, I assumed the guy on the front cover on the Ariel was an English bloke, when I looked up number 9 in the programme, apparently he's Scottish!

Now I certainly don't profess to know everyone in Scotland, but one of my tasks is to record all trials results up here in Jockland, so I do recognise the names.

I've never seen this guy at any other event nor seen his name appear in any Scottish trials results over at least the last five years! I could be wrong of course?

Maybe he's just one of those chaps who ride once a year then??? :mellow:

That wee red Bantam looks wonderful, the creator must be justly proud of his handywork and I genuinely applaud his skill... just one thing wrong with it... it isn't much like a proper Pre-65 bike is it? I would ride something like that as a twinshock or special. He should bring it to Alvie (no harm plugging oor local Pre65 & twinshocker trial is there), we would find a class to put it in!

Big John

Hi John

Paul is a great guy, and I have ridden around the pre 65 twice in the past with him when he was on a Cub. He was out recently on the Aerial riding one of his club events.

Ross