Trials Helmets. Why No Face Protection?

machalooney

I can see that a trials helmet is lightweight and more breathable without face protection, but why do most trials riders not wear helmets with face protection? It seems if you were to slap the ground with your face, the helmet is useless... Saw a video of a guy plant his face on a rock, ouch!

Thanks for your patience as I am obviously a newbie! There are certainly lightweight, breathable full face downhill mountain bike helmets made that I am leaning towards purchasing over a true trials helmet, help my decision please. Cheers! :D

ever wear a full face helment while going 2 to 3 mph? gets kinda hot, also you can see the terrain a lot better without the chin gaurd, I have also heard of bad injurys from the lack of face protection, I had designed a partial face protector for my child's helment using a place kicker's football helment face gaurd, my kid never got into trials, so it never happened, I make my kids were a full face helment no matter what kind of powersports products they are riding. when they turn 18 they can decide for them selves.

Edited by MotoVintage

I agree, if you were creeping along at 2 mph for more than 15 minutes you would begin to boil! I think the riding that I do here in the backcountry of Idaho, clipping along at 30 mph through the woods then proceeding to challenge myself every couple of miles or so through technical, rocky terrain I will still wear a full face helmet, pressure suit and knee/shin guards.... Watching videos of the SSDT I am surprised more riders do not wear more protection. Nobody seems to wear knee cups, elbow/arm guards, full face helmet. I wonder how many riders are injured each year due to lacerations? One certainly could impale body parts hard at 2mph or 30mph. Perhaps 2 helmets, one for pure trials riding and one for trail/trials riding....

You could go too far with this i suppose. Why do we not wear full spinal protection like road racers etc etc.

End of the day for Competition trials, you need to have full view of your surroundings, or else this will increase the chance of an accident, if you launch yourself and not realise there is a rock, that you can't see due to the chin guard. So you have to take into account the probabilty of serious injury when only travelling at about 2 mph, wether it be up a rock or down hill etc. The probability that if you come off your going slow enough to do something about it. I.E launch away from the bike, Look down see where your going to land.

So there is no real point in full protection, Trials you need full movement of body parts to do your best.

Motocross or Trail riding like you do, Then yes maybe you would feel better with more protection, Cause your flying along, Crack a tree stump funny it'll throw you uncontrolably most probably into the closest rock or tree.

Probably babbeling on now, but the moral of the story is, in Full competition trials more protection is the cause of accidents.

:D

You could go too far with this i suppose. Why do we not wear full spinal protection like road racers etc etc.

End of the day for Competition trials, you need to have full view of your surroundings, or else this will increase the chance of an accident, if you launch yourself and not realise there is a rock, that you can't see due to the chin guard. So you have to take into account the probabilty of serious injury when only travelling at about 2 mph, wether it be up a rock or down hill etc. The probability that if you come off your going slow enough to do something about it. I.E launch away from the bike, Look down see where your going to land.

So there is no real point in full protection, Trials you need full movement of body parts to do your best.

Motocross or Trail riding like you do, Then yes maybe you would feel better with more protection, Cause your flying along, Crack a tree stump funny it'll throw you uncontrolably most probably into the closest rock or tree.

Probably babbeling on now, but the moral of the story is, in Full competition trials more protection is the cause of accidents.

True that, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

No Probs,

You've just got to remember, You can break an ankle walking down your stairs.

What will happen will happen, Yes we are increasing that chance but hay, What will be will be won't it.

You fellas are so lucky out there, SOunds like you can liturally go out your back garden and bugger off into woodland. Were goverened so much over here. Can't fart without having to fill in some sort of damage to the earth form, and insuring ourselves against it!

No Probs,

You've just got to remember, You can break an ankle walking down your stairs.

What will happen will happen, Yes we are increasing that chance but hay, What will be will be won't it.

You fellas are so lucky out there, SOunds like you can liturally go out your back garden and bugger off into woodland. Were goverened so much over here. Can't fart without having to fill in some sort of damage to the earth form, and insuring ourselves against it!

Very true, I have been riding mx for the past ten years and when it "happens" it happens, usually quicker than the blink of an eye. When zipping through the woods and a stone takes you down, if you do not have a pressure suit on, you wish you had. I still always wear mine out on the trail, too many times I have been thrown into the dingleberrys and sticks!

Just picked up my first trials bike, my buddy got a GG300 a little while back and since he let me ride it, I have been dreaming to get one and finally did a couple of weeks ago, 04 GG300! Since then, the Yammy 450 has been sidelined and the starting QB is my GG!

Here is a little glimpse into our garden on our wheelchairs; here is my buddys big ol' pig like mx bike :lol:

Here is a little glimpse into our garden on our wheelchairs; here is my buddys big ol' pig like mx bike :lol:

very nice defenatly more suited to a trials bike though:D im jealous.

in response to the helmet. one there's vision as has been mentioned before. two. the other diference to a full face helmet is the back is cut higher to allow more movement of your neck for looking up or behind you.

when i think of all the crazy stuff i usta do on mountain bikes and bmx's without helmets im really glad ive got my trials helmet

I just cannot understand how anyone rides those things in the tight single track stuff! A trials bike will spoil you!

Two thoughts, firstly, reguardless of full facial protection, good eye protection is recommended on the trail.

And, a good high capacity Camelback is good spine protection! Plus! :rolleyes:

I just cannot understand how anyone rides those things in the tight single track stuff! A trials bike will spoil you!

Two thoughts, firstly, reguardless of full facial protection, good eye protection is recommended on the trail.

And, a good high capacity Camelback is good spine protection! Plus! :rolleyes:

I blame it all on the AMA minimum weights regulations. That bike in the vid, 07 250sx, box stock, is illegal to ride pro ama because it's too light-- several pounds lighter than a crf250f, but on tight trails it's still a pig. I think my 1976 RM250 weighed about the same. Trail-ready, with steering dampner, kickstand, big tank, skidplate (and that one has bigger radiators), without fuel it's about 210 lbs.

The serious enduro bikes, xc, and xwc are 15-20 lbs more. Low speed handling is appalling---and there's always the wonderfull slow highsides--the tall seats mean you cannot catch it on a sidehill with the downhill foot, so you bail, then race over and bench press the whole thing before the gas all spills out. 500 calories in about 2 minutes.

a 300txt is awesome on the tight stuff, and fun on any single track. For me it's hard on my neck and lower back--they get sore past 30mins continuous fast riding. In a trial you are on and off so much it's not such an issue. Then there's the range issue. I've got a 4.5 litre aftermarket tank, but I still have to be carefull past 40 miles. You can pack fuel of course, but the camelbackpack starts to get pretty heavy. We have to carry clothes, tools, food, 2 liters of water, then you throw gas in there too.....the bike is still light but you are not so light, hehe.

I wish GG had nice tank/seat combo like the betas have.

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

That's a downhill bmx helmet.

I just ordered some stiffer springs, hehe, you can see why.

Then, up till now, I've had to watch mine like a hawk on big climbs. It will p*** the water out in about 30 secs and by the time you notice it's already knocking--8000 ft on a hot day. Then you learn all about how how to fit o-rings. I will say this: it's never left me out there. Let it cool, put water in, and even if the o-ring is toast, it will start and I can tiptoe out.

I've had it with that, and I'm adding a GMX rad and Raga head.

Edited by uhoh7

Thats a lot more open than where we ride round here, even the place we do 3-4 day rides at is generally tighter & more under trees than that. Only 2 guys we've had ride with us on non trials bike have only done it once. One is now national enduro champ & other has a late model CR125 fitted with a gas gas 280 engine & softer suspension for technical riding

Only time I use a full face helmet on a trials bike is sweep riding for the local enduro etc & thats mainly because trials bikes really don't do sand whoops too well & its always mid winter so the extra heat is very welcome