Weight That World Riders Usually Bench Press?

funtrials

Hey Funtrials...Nevermind catching your breath :huh: ......your circuit sounds great but if you wanna throw in some superior conditioning into the mix just do exactly what you're doing but with a 99p gumshield in place...you won't believe the difference until you try it. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A POWERBREATHER?BREATHING TRAINER !!

What? I don't understand.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest you do a circuit program like you mentioned a maximum of once a week and did the other 2 sessions for strength (2-3 mins recovery). That way you'll increase strength and have the ability to work longer so you'll hopefully avoid pump up which always seems to effect people. Hope that helps.

Yes, I'd love to see some of the up-coming British lads train-up and give the Spanish boys are real big-time run for their money, as in a British 1-2-3 like Dougie-Graham-Colley did at at least 1 or 2 world rounds (indoor or outdoor, I can't exactly remember.)

I don't have to rest, well usually, more than maybe 30 seconds to 2 minutes (I TRY to keep it real short, however) between weight-lifting sets doing that circuit, and I lift for maybe 90 minutes (+ 30 minutes cardio) two times per week (lately), plus ride 2-3 days per week. So am I "avoiding pump" already? Not sure what that exactly means.

Edited by Funtrials

Hi Billy - Slightly off topic I apologize, but do you have any tips for reducing chronic arm pump?

I have tried all the usual things - drinking lots of water, stretching, not doing any isolated bicep exercizes, using deep heat etc. I've also experimented with handlebar and lever set up, different grips/compounds.

Its something i've suffered from for years and gets very frustrating!!

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!

What about doing (maybe you've done this) weight-lifting for that particular muscle 3 (not 1, not 2, not 3 sometimes but not always) times per week RELIGIOUSLY? Any thoughts on that folks?

I also, during a trials, drink electrolytes and a carb powder mix.

Edited by Funtrials

Jools, maybe you are leaning on the bars more than is, god knows, good for you. I have 20mm spacers under my handlebars (hard to put on though.), and that might help. Also, if bars are tilted too far forward I bet that puts too much weight on them. Maybe also try putting more weight on your knees, instead of leaning against the handlebars. I think world riders don't particularly lean against the bars very much, as such. I know you said you've worked on handlebar issues, but who knows, maybe handlebars are actually the problem?

I have a trials tomorrow, so I "carbed-up" for the 2-3 days preceeding the trial. And purposely haven't ridden for the 3 days preceeding the trial (bike could break and can't order parts soon enough, my 46 year-old body needs pletny of time for full-on trials-day optimum recovery, etc....I guess) Also haven't, on purpose again, weight-lifted or done cardio for the 2.5 days preceeding the trial day. Should a person "electrolyte-up" BEFORE a trials, as well as take them during the trial? And if so, how much and for how many days?

Edited by Funtrials

Powerbars (their more carb-type vs. their more protein-type) or bananas, the morning of the trial, which is better?

Neither really, their all full of junk and high in sugar which will seriosly deplete you of vitamins and minerals in the long run. The book vitamin robbers by Mindell explains a lot about this topic.

A typical bar has;

Brown rice syrup: sugar from brown rice

Whole oats: Pretty good

Rice crisps: Plunge cold, cooked, white rice into boiling water and it puffs out like popcorn. Roast it and you have a crunchy, easy to digest product completely devoid of nutrition. Eat enough of it, and it will send your blood-glucose through the roof. Think of the popular breakfast cereal known as Rice Crispies. Same thing and its junk.

Sugar: Pretty simple

Salt: Table salt as well which increases hunger

Barley malt: Boil the barley until all the starches are converted into sugars. The process is known as malting. Breweries use malted barley to make beer. Power Bar is using it because it makes bland, puffed white rice taste better

I have a trials tomorrow, so I "carbed-up" for the 2-3 days preceeding the trial. And purposely haven't ridden for the 3 days preceeding the trial (bike could break and can't order parts soon enough, my 46 year-old body needs pletny of time for full-on trials-day optimum recovery, etc....I guess) Also haven't, on purpose again, weight-lifted or done cardio for the 2.5 days preceeding the trial day. Should a person "electrolyte-up" BEFORE a trials, as well as take them during the trial? And if so, how much and for how many days?

I'd go for good quality water with a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt (82 trace minerals) and drink your body-weight in KG x 0.033 everyday (not just for a few days beforehand) and then include extra for the trial. Carb loading isn't really that effective, once the muscles/liver are full it just stores as fat.

I don't have to rest, well usually, more than maybe 30 seconds to 2 minutes (I TRY to keep it real short, however) between weight-lifting sets doing that circuit, and I lift for maybe 90 minutes (+ 30 minutes cardio) two times per week (lately), plus ride 2-3 days per week. So am I "avoiding pump" already? Not sure what that exactly means.

Not really sure what your actual goal is, if its strength and you cut your rest period short then your not using the right energy system. Let me know what effect your after and I'll give you an example program.

What? I don't understand.

This is an easy way to increase your breathing capacity ( and think of the all the benefits of that).

Try a gumshield in your work out for 2 weeks. You need to get past the nausea of the 1st few sessions ( it will pass).

It's resistance training for your lungs; as they say in the forces 'train hard----fight easy'.

Jools, maybe you are leaning on the bars more than is, god knows, good for you. I have 20mm spacers under my handlebars (hard to put on though.), and that might help. Also, if bars are tilted too far forward I bet that puts too much weight on them. Maybe also try putting more weight on your knees, instead of leaning against the handlebars. I think world riders don't particularly lean against the bars very much, as such. I know you said you've worked on handlebar issues, but who knows, maybe handlebars are actually the problem?

Yeah I see what you mean but have tried raising the bars and found my body weight to be a bit further back than i'm used to, so i'm gripping the bars tighter...

Also done all the grip training etc (as you mentioned weight training). My mate, who's a fitness instructor said doing wrist curls is a waste of time due to the way the muscles in the forearm works. Because when your on the bike your hands close on the grips and around the levers. He suggested setting up a heavy barbell and literally just hold it for 1 minute * 3 sets. It did work but still having bad problems!

I'd suggest to people to read up on arm pump and it actually makes interesting reading! Especially what MX'ers do to train. A few of the AMA riders do Yoga or Martial arts to improve their balance as they believe its balance based (I know thats sounds strange us being trials riders! :huh: ). Others have had the surgery, but doesn't seem to resolve the problem. Have heard of people taking aspirin - sounds dodgy though! Using Deep - Heat is very good.

I'm going to try Billy's advice on the electrolytes etc Also concentrate on breathing, see what happens!

Yeah I see what you mean but have tried raising the bars and found my body weight to be a bit further back than i'm used to, so i'm gripping the bars tighter...

Also done all the grip training etc (as you mentioned weight training). My mate, who's a fitness instructor said doing wrist curls is a waste of time due to the way the muscles in the forearm works. Because when your on the bike your hands close on the grips and around the levers. He suggested setting up a heavy barbell and literally just hold it for 1 minute * 3 sets. It did work but still having bad problems!

I'd suggest to people to read up on arm pump and it actually makes interesting reading! Especially what MX'ers do to train. A few of the AMA riders do Yoga or Martial arts to improve their balance as they believe its balance based (I know thats sounds strange us being trials riders! :huh: ). Others have had the surgery, but doesn't seem to resolve the problem. Have heard of people taking aspirin - sounds dodgy though! Using Deep - Heat is very good.

I'm going to try Billy's advice on the electrolytes etc Also concentrate on breathing, see what happens!

Theirs definatly a lot more interest in muscle balance nowadays. Ryan Huges has started studying at the same institute I train at. My mentor had him as a client and pointed out that all his injuries are right sided. Sinces then he's been getting the MX world looking a lot deeper. Sublaxion of the atlas (bit your skull sits on) has ramifications all the way down the body. Mines out from a big crash years ago, I've shifted it back many times but it won't hold due to me not giving it enough recovery time. You'll never train and get rid of pump, you may tolerate it for longer periods but the key is balance within the musculoskeletal system so you have to work less to get the desired movement. Think of it like a bike wheel, if its buckled and you tighten every spoke (bodybuilder) its still buckled but now brittle. Loosen every spoke (yoga) and you still have a buckled wheel that's ready to collapse anytime. Proper training needs a wheelbuilder (well trained practitioner) that understands what needs loosening and what needs tightening. I usually see, tight chest, shoulder etc and very poor back muscles. Get a photo taken from the side and look how much you pull forwards. This combined with proper hydration/nutrition and the ability to supply said muscles with oxygen and remove toxins quick enough, will go a long way to solving your problem but bear in mind that the finger is really for more complex movements hence why its so well inervated with nerves (so you can do fine motor patterns) and using the clutch and front brake is just past its normal activity for prolonged periods.

Edited by billycraig