Flywheel Weight On Bike ?

wonder boy

A few year ago there was some grey imported Scorpa's kicking around, they came from Spain I believe. They had a lightened flywheel and many people found them awful to ride in the UK.

And there were also a couple of the black beta techno Dougie replicas imported directly around here when they came out. How did they go in the Midlands mud? let me think for a minute.

Oh Yes, I remember. In the words of the old Dead or Alive record;

You spin me right round baby right round.....

Or as Murray Walker used to say

SPIN SPIN SPIN

I removed the flywheel (Beta 250cc) and left it off. I like the way it picks the revs up now, much zippier. Also got the fast action throttle on and a softer spring on the carb slide.

Ishy advised me to put the flywheel back on for the SSDT but I ignored him :D

Did a muddy trial last Sunday and the bike didn't struggle for grip any more than the others. Try it and see what you think, you can always put it back on again :(

• 3 weeks later...

Here in sundrenched Australia, Betas come without the additional flywheel weight that is apparently standard in the UK. No one in my (mostly Beta riders) club even knew such a thing was available until recently. One day during a bike swapping session it was discovered that one of the Rev 3 250s felt much nicer than the others to ride and by process of elimination it was discovered that the cause of the difference was that the one that felt so much better had an additional flywheel weight.

Not long afterwards most of the 250 and 270 Betas in the club had the additional flywheel weight fitted and all was well with the world again.

We feel that even in our high traction riding conditions the heavier flywheel makes the bigger Rev 3s less demanding to ride. I have just bought a 2003 Rev 3 200 and am even considering adding flywheel mass to it.

I suspect that young riders who enjoy the thrill? of quick engine response and have excess energy to burn may not think along the same lines as the "mature" riders in our club.