Evo Virgin

the addict

Had a pm from a mate earlier and he mentioned the 200's forks? this is the third person to mention the 200 forks are different or a poorer fork than the 250/290? can anyone shed some light on it please :thumbup:

Edited by The Addict

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not long now (12 hours) till I get a go on the 200 Evo, will it be what I hope? :guinness: Will it pull enough? :wacko: Will the carb leak? :D Will I crash it? :wub: will Doogle see this post and not turn up tomoz? :lol: Oh the anticipation? :rotfl:

Edited by The Addict

i dont regret getting the repsol. if anything it exagerates the things you have to learn. but your spot on ! it feels like half the bike is missing. and dare i say it " more grip " and its a 2 banger. ive always been a honda man for build quality and reliability but for doing the actual job ( speaking as a newby) the beta has got it licked . i think the top riders will get the most out of the mont. i just think the evo is far far easier to ride . i love it!

Agree the 4rt makes you exagerate your body positioning,first thing I noticed when I rode one, thats a good thing I recon. The first go I had on an Evo I honestly struggled to get any feel for the bike behind my feet, like there was nothing there at all. Good luck with the National mate, make sure you drink plenty before,good brekkie and plenty of drink along the way,tape a drink to your fuel can if theres a fuel stop and a choccy bar or two (Billy Craig will kill me for that but I struggled getting the lamb cutlet and carrott to bond to the plastic fuel can last time)

Edited by The Addict

taking on fluids as we speak (dont know if lager is isotonic but it is in balance with my body fluid) as for breakfast i think i will opt for bacon and egg mc muff with extra muff. my mate ( 17 stoner) usualy straps a side of beef over his tank as he still has a 4rt and wont notice its there. regarding your concerns on knowing where the back wheel is? . to quote an unknown italian racing driver "whats behind me does not concern me" have a good weekend . :guinness:

:guinness::rotfl: although my reputation for gallons of Redbull water works the best night before a big trial,morning and during and plenty of it, getting hungry isnt very pleasant for the legs half way round so a good brekkie is worth while as well as something light when your doing the loop.

First off, a huge thanks to Doogle for lending me his brand spanker 200 after the trial for me to have a go on, :guinness: (soz I was a long time mate) he had to come and find me in the end. :D

Secondly this was my first visit to a Berko Trial and the Dews Farm venue, a huge thank you to the club and observers was a great steady day and Dews Farm was far better than I had been told in the past. Site was alot bigger than I thought and a huge amount of climbs,bomb holes and roots to have a go at, will defo be going back next time. :rotfl: well worth a visit if you,ve never been before.

I've had high hopes for the 200 past few months, not owned even a 250 2 stroke for about 10 years now and in the past would never had even considered anything less than a 270/290 etc, my mind was changed when I had a go on mates 125 a while back and found I clicked with it straightaway. Today was always going to be a yes or no for me, I needed to try one before I bought a 250 as I knew it would nag me that I had,nt given one a go.

Dave handed it over on his last section and off I went, thank fully Dave rides with his bar position and levers pretty much like I do, the past two 250 and 290 Evo's I rode were way off which is always an uphill battle to get a good feel for the bike. I had a quick ride around and was very impressed by the motor and lighness of the bike, the engine is very very smooth and pulled considerably stronger than a 125 low down, once the revs are picked up it will ride along very easily and very smoothly which I was really happy with. As Dave had'nt even run it in yet I did,nt let the motor sing at any stage but I could tell it certainly would given the chance. My main concern with the 200 was big climbs and more than anything very steep climbs with no run up and out of a turn (would it pick up quick enough) I tried 3 of the sections that had the biggest climbs in the trial and it walked those all even with half throttleish ,motor picked up fast enough from 2nd even though I used 1st on Gerty(full chat) bar one climb.

I next tried one of the sections that caught me for a dab twice and took alot of marks which involved a run down a gulley and hop to the left in the bottom which was slippy, once lined up you had an immediate loose steep climb with a tight turn at the top back down. This was the section that I knew on the Mont could cost me a five easy, wasnt worried about the hop but the initial take off from a slippy start up a steep loose bank can be a lottery for me on the 4RT. I rode this section on the Mont only dabbing once on the hop and not at all up the climb but every lap felt It could break traction at any moment, I had to work very hard with the throttle on the way up not to spin and felt I had 4 lucky rides of that section. The 200 hopped round no problem and as I took off the motor loaded alittle which eliminated any spin and half way up the climb it left me behind as it gripped so much, these are the sorts of climbs the Mont can suffer on but the 200 just p****d it. Had a few more goes to make sure and was by now ready for the grip and it sailed up every time and in far more control.

Next wanted to try it on the real tester, a biggish bank from the bottom with next to no run up, tackled this by running along the bottom of the bank then turning 90 degrees up it so you had to float the front around and go. What I noticed straight away was how controlled and grippy the initial take off was, seemed like no chance of spinning it up in the bottom before the hill, this was about a 25 foot climb very loose and very steep you needed to be on it a fair bit at the bottom which can make it spin up whilst turning or leave you behind quickly. The 200 gripped from the bottom and shot up, as I could,nt rev it as much as I would have liked it loaded a little 2 thirds of the way up so I bounced it a couple of times to bring the revs back up but had no doubt it would have p****d it on 3/4 throttle or more.

Messed about on roots/turns little climbs next 20 mins and really got to feel at home on it more I rode it, could get it to run on up hills no problem on closed throttle after a handfull in the bottom and the steering is endless, you can feel it wanting to tuck under you if go too much. Bike was very easy to hop front and back,rear shock/suspension felt really good on hits,front felt alittle hard but it is brand new. To be honest if Dave hadn't walked the half mile from the start to find me I'd still be there now in the dark riding it was so much fun, I did'nt seem to have any problems with the gears even though i ran lowish revs on climbs and felt I could get to learn the bike within a week or so easily.

I need to ride this agianst the 250 back to back hopefully at the BVM test day to make sure,but I had no dissapointments at all today and to its credit it was better than I had hoped in everything.

Thanks again Dave :lol: (did'nt try that jump on section 9 mate )

Edited by The Addict