Weston Beach

nigel dabster

Heard that because of the bad crash at the start the race was abandoned. How bad were the injuries anyone know?

I heard that one rider has a broken back and another serious head injuries. 17 injured taken to hospital at the time.

Big John

The news still not good on any account looks as thou there may not be another Weston beach race, but worst of all the injured rider still in a very bad way with head & neck injuries badly broken leg and some internal injuries, never nice to hear of such horrific injuries to a fellow off-roader im sure all thoughts are with the rider and his family at this time.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Weston...il/article.html

50% of the problem was that the tide was in when the race started. Weston super Mare has the 3rd highest difference between high/low tide in the world, this years start straight was about 100m wide, if they delayed the start for a couple of hours it would have been half a mile wide, which would have helped the problem.

The injured rider was Ty Kellett from Langport in Somerset, I'm sure there are many TC regulars that will know his dad Nibs Kellett who was a regular rider in South West/Wessex/National trials back in the 70/80's before going on to become a downhill mountain biker.

I would like to send my best wishes to Ty and family for a speedy conclusion to this nightmare.

Regards

Martin