Just Won A Txt 280 On E Bay Any Bits To Look Out For When I Go Look At It ?

matt_urban

just won a txt 280 mega cheap on e bay because it ended at 4.30 and was listed in parts

any bits to look out for when i go look at it ?

its a 2000 txt 280 in blue

I already have a 1999 beta techno and its been used alot and feels like it so hoping this one will be less used and feel tight

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Edited by matt_urban

You've just bought a ten year old un-inspected trials bike for 421 quid.

One of the most competitive bikes when it was new and 6% of the price of a new Montesa Repsol this year

What, exactly, are you expecting to find?

I'd expect to find problems with the head gasket (actually O rings) that may or not be repairable and also with the fork seals cos the seller says that's the case. I'd also expect the tyres to be useless, the frame to have suffered abuse, the foot pegs to be bent, the chain and sprockets and brakes to be worn out, the suspension to be very sloppy (especially the rear linkage), the wheels to be buckled, and the plastics to look shabby. Probably the petrol tank will be dented.

Anything less would be a bonus.

Having said all of that, I had three TXT type Gassers and found them to be as tough as old boots so it just might be the bargain of the century.

Look at everything, the only bits that might be hard to source are the plastics

As mentioned above, the rear suspension linkage suffers badly on these and the replacement parts really add up.

Remember you are obliged to buy the bike unless it has not been described accurately in the listing.

It's risky buying from ebay if you haven't seen the bike, but at that price you probably won't go too far wrong.

as the other guys have said . you've won nothing .. you've BOUGHT a bike, expect as a minimum to buy, wheel bearing,s fork seals, brake pads, fork oil, head bearings, bar grips, new throttle, fuel filter, air filter, plastics tyres, suspension linkage front and rear sprokets, chain, exhaust stuffing..

not cheap...

better in my experince to pay more up front for a viewed bike than have a bill for almost the same again in consumables

Good luck Matt,I'm not being sarky....nothing ventured,nothing gained.

Everyone likes a project.

Since you're committed to buying it you'll have to report back once you've got it home, there will be plenty of people on TC who have owned this type of Gasser (Me and GII for starters) and can assist (memory willing ^_^ ).

That rear end looks to be jacked-up too high.What a lot of sellers do (on any type of bike), to hide the excess slop in the suspension linkage,is to crank the pre-load right up.

The only problem I had with mine was a broken damper screw on the rear shock but it was a quick fix.

Anyhow if it all goes Pete Tong I'll give you

If it turns out to be a no go you could always break it and hopefully recover most / all of the money.

From the sellers description I think you have to buy, as said above the time to look and ask questions is before you bid.

Thanks for all your comments some more usefull than others

I got my curreny beta for 600 and it was a mess ive done all the rear end bearings ' fork seals ' piston rings and oil etc on it and it feels alot better and it runs better and starts better than my mates much newer gassers but my mate just got a 2000 txt for

I know you guys all have almost new bikes but i dont have that sort of cash as im 27 have a car house etc that comes first at the mo but my next bike will be 2004 or newer ^_^

I've seen some pretty knackered 2004 bikes but there's a fella we see at trials who's got a mint 1995 TX250 that looks like it's never been out of a show room. The important thing is to buy by condition.

I can see why you went for this one, at that price I'd have been tempted. If you can get it into shape for two or three hundred pounds it's still well worth the money, a tidy trials Gas Gas for under

Update for you all went to get the bike tonight it was hanging rear shock blown forks blown engine rattle at low revs p***ing out water from head engine badly painted blue rivvets holding rear mud on loads of play in rear sus

told the guy it was not as listed and walked away he was ok about it i told him to relist it in bikes section and list the problems

going to stick with my beta now ive sorted it all out

Shame on you! There is too much of this going on - on ebay, people winning auctions then not honouring thier side of the deal, if you have any doubt you should view first. This is the reason I no longer sell on ebay.

Yes, and now that ebay has stopped sellers from negging no performing buyers, it tends to happen even more!

However, the description was really vague and there is no mention of blown shock or engine rattles, so I guess the seller wasn't that suprised. I always list every fault carefully (if there are any) and be as honest as I can with the description. If someone turns up and finds a fault that I've not mentioned in the description, then I understand that they may not want the item.

The worst kind of non performing buyer are those who back out without even coming to look at the item, in other words have no intention of buying. Matt certainly doesn't fall into that class.

Pete

If the seller was Ok about it, show's he knew that he hadn't listed the faults correctly. I sold my ty250 on ebay and it took me three attempts, the first two were buyers who didn't even show after they had bought it :-( now that is really bad, the third did and he came from barcelona ! seriously he had a big van collecting ebay bought bikes from all over the UK, he was a dealer taking account of the exchange rate.

Then in reverse I bought a 2009 250 gasser pro described as in very good condition with no faults mentioned, i bid top dollar for it