Where To Look?

Had my first ever run on Saturday, and great thanks to Derek Ramsey who was kind enough to take me out, show me a place to practice, and also teach me some basics. Much appreciated! Great fun, and a bl88dy good challenge, just what I was after. A few aches and pains after a couple of hours on the bike, but I was only doing some basic stuff.

I'm used to a road bike, where I'm looking well ahead and using peripheral vision for road surface changes closer to me, etc, and also looking where I want to go which is the best advice I was ever given for the road.

In general in Trials where should I look - at where I want to go, or in difficult situations where the front wheel is going? I know it's probably horses for courses depending on circumstances, but any advice gratefully received.

Also, any tips for getting better traction on the rear tyre on slippy up slopes? Mainly for body weight position, etc as I think I'm OK in terms of what to do with clutch and throttle (even if I can't do what I want with either yet, at least I know what my hands should be doing so that I can train myself!).

I used to do reasonably serious kart racing, and I'm glad to see the helpfulness of the folks is the same in both sports - I advertised for a flywheel weight this morning, and within a couple of hours another helpful chap was on the phone and arranging to send me his old one at minimal cost - thanks Jeremy!

If the section is tight I'll look close and concentrate on front wheel placement. I pick a route first and have waypoints in my mind like - hit this root, then over to that rock on the left, then back across to that rock etc.

For slippy banks get your weight as far back as you can and use plenty of approach speed to avoid throttle on the hill as much as possible.

All that said I'm not very good so I'm sure theres more qualified people on here to put you right! :thumbup:

Cant resist joining in on this one.. Classic theory is that riding is like walking (you could mess with that spelling) look where you want to go point your toes (both feet and keep your feet away from the frame to give them room to move) and shoulders keeping bars parallel to them where you want to go. there are many "extreme tecniques you can watch on you tube etc.) but its must be better to learn to walk before trying to run. If you take 10 riders and ask for this sort of advice you will probably get 10 different answers. Try it all but simple "rules" are best. Good luck with it tkake it one step at a time.

I'm used to a road bike, where I'm looking well ahead and using peripheral vision for road surface changes closer to me, etc, and also looking where I want to go which is the best advice I was ever given for the road.

In general in Trials where should I look - at where I want to go, or in difficult situations where the front wheel is going? I know it's probably horses for courses depending on circumstances, but any advice gratefully received.

Some good thoughts here. I think the most important thing is to keep looking where you want to go, or even past it - you'll see the top riders' minders holding their hands out over the top of an obstacle for the riders to aim at so that they don't stop as they hit the obstacle. Don't go concentrating on that tree or rock that you want to avoid because you'll inevitabley end up heading straight towards it. The most difficult thing is when you are really concentrating on where the front wheel is going in a very tight bit of section giving yourself the time to drag your head and eyes up to look ahead for the next climb or obstacle before you hit the throttle. I quite often have to slap myself half-way through a trial because I've forgotten to do this.