Tl-125 Hop Ups

sir dabs alot

Well, against many peoples advise that I respect I bought the little TL-125 down the street. I just couldn't help it. This was more of an emotional purchase than a logical one......

I'll probably end up with a twin shock bike that will actually haul my weight at some point but this is fun for now!!!

Anyway, I always wanted one of these as a kid and always loved the way they looked.

The only problem is, just like everyone warned me, this thing has no power. I think an OSET has more power than this.......

Soooooo, all you TL and twin shock experts......HELP!!!!!

The good:

1. Frame intact and not too beat up looking.

2. Tank OK, I have a friend who can paint the tank and frame for me. He owes me a favor and is a professional.

3. Runs OK but could run better even considering TL-125s reputation.

4. Pipe in pretty good shape. I can use it until I decide if I want something better. The rear tip had been replaced with something from another bike being welded on to where the original was. Not beautiful but not horrible.

5. Fenders are usuable but not perfect. White replacement Preston Petty Mini Mudder front and generic rear in white.

6. Chain and sprocket usable. Look to be 15-60 gearing if I counted right.

7. New seat!!!!!

8. original decent shape bars.

9. Air box looks new.

10. New kick starter and shifter rubbers, gasket kit, points and manual included.

11. General layout doesn't disturb me too badly. It's no modern bike but the peg to bars relationship is not too bad.

12. Side panels look close to new.

The bad:

1. It has no power. I was warned of this but think it is worse than it could be.

2. Front forks are scary. either I need oil or heavier springs or both. I've been advised to lower the forks for better steering as well.

3. Shocks match the forks. I might be getting one inch of travel. From what I hear, that's pretty good for a TL-125.

4. The footpegs feel like I'm standing on Tootsie Rolls, the small ones!!!! Will modern pegs work on this?

5. Tires are OK but could be better. This is one of the last things I'll change because it has bigger issues right now.

The Ugly:

1. Tank has dents and scratches. Could be fixed with a paint job or a Sammy Miller tank. I'll probably go with the paint jos to save $$.

2. Fenders are functional but not perfect or pretty.

3. frame has various scratches but no known cracks, dents or major damage that I can tell. My buddy will paint this for me.

4. Engine is scuffed, scratched, etc, but what do you expect from a 36 year old bike??? I may buff it out or paint it.

5.Grips, throttle, kill switch, kick starter, shifter all look prety bad but stil function OK. Wondering about a Domino throttle. I also have new rubbers for the kick starter and shifter that came with the bike.

6. Looks like a mishap happened at some point with the rear fender loop/bracket. The top bracket is gone.

7. Welded on rearsection of pipe looks bad but works for now.

Questions:

1. What can I do for power? I could start with a tune up I guess; i.e. points, plug, valve adjust, timing cahin adjust, carb rebuild.

2. Anyone running a big bore kit? Which ones are good and what should I beware of?

3. What rear shocks are people going with. I found some NJB shocks. Are Betor or Works or any others a lot better? I don't have money to burn but don't want to buy crap either.

4. What would help the forks? Springs? I've heard TY fork on the TLs work well but that sounds like potentially a lot of trouble.

5. Any other advise other than sell it and buy something else......

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Edited by Trialsin1

Gday, tune it first. Make sure the ignition timing is spot on, it makes a big difference with those engines. I had one many years ago when i was much "lighter" with a powroll 150 kit and cam in a motorcross frame, and regularly blew it up (conrods, crankshafts, pistons) so you can tune them beyond what is reliable. Get it running well as it is and see how it goes for you.

Cheers,

Stork

(see TL125 articles)

- but, 150cc kit for sure, Powroll or Sammy Miller kit; the liner may need a change (depending on if its a K or S model TL125

- stronger springs (or different front end) surely makes sense.

- tuning etc is a must as per the other post.

I miss my TL125's, but go back to watching Gavin riding one of them in the Classic Experts a couple of year back to remind me why I shouldn't buy another one.

(see TL125 articles)

- but, 150cc kit for sure, Powroll or Sammy Miller kit; the liner may need a change (depending on if its a K or S model TL125

- stronger springs (or different front end) surely makes sense.

- tuning etc is a must as per the other post.

I miss my TL125's, but go back to watching Gavin riding one of them in the Classic Experts a couple of year back to remind me why I shouldn't buy another one.

seem to recall that the early TL's were 122cc and later one's 124cc.

(that you on the SWM in the link above ?)

lots of quick inexpensive items to make it work better than stock(I've had 5 TL125's) get rid of the @$)! stock exhaust. get a sammy miller system,or have an exhaust pipe made to replicate sammy's system. get rid of the stock shifter set up(as most people mount a short shifter straight up) install a Bultaco chain tensioner, you have to modify the hole so it will slide over the stock pivot shaft. These two items will give it a little more off idle torque with the exhaust and the Bultaco chain tensioner will make it a lot less jerky through the sections for a more controllable ride. I rode mine in novice and advanced novice and did quite well. Everyone here on this site will have a lot good tricks you can do.

feet up!

dgraf

Update: I took the tail section of the pipe off yesterday just to see if it had any effect on power and that gave it a significantly more power, so the pipe is an issue. Today I took it to a guy who knows these bikes like the back of his hand. He is going to give it a good going over and see if adjusting and putting everything back to what it should be makes enough difference as well as checking the compression. If compression is fine we'll see what the power is like with a pipe solution and go from there. I have a little more confidence that it can have enough power to pull me around after feeling it with the silencer off and seeing a few videos of other TLs that would run circles around mine.

post-2573-1260754607.jpg

post-2573-1260754841.jpg

Edited by Trialsin1

Thanks! it's a lot of fun tinkering with the old bikes! i see how you guys get so into it. It really makes the modern bike feel like a miracle worker as well. I think riding the older bikes is a great training tool. They're not as refined so you have to rely on technique to pull you through!

maybe once i get this like I like it i'll work on a 250 2-stroke.

Hi !

A tidy bike

I did the same thing and bought one on spec a couple of week's ago. I've posted the pics on the Honda forum imaginately titled 'TL125 Pics!

Mine has the full SM exhaust. I can't comment on the power before and after - but it seems to have plenty of pull, especially in second gear - and sounds more powefull than a 4rt !!!!!!

I'm going to trial mine next year (in good weather !!!) and i'll find out what it's really like !

cheers

John

Hi !

A tidy bike

I did the same thing and bought one on spec a couple of week's ago. I've posted the pics on the Honda forum imaginately titled 'TL125 Pics!

Mine has the full SM exhaust. I can't comment on the power before and after - but it seems to have plenty of pull, especially in second gear - and sounds more powefull than a 4rt !!!!!!

I'm going to trial mine next year (in good weather !!!) and i'll find out what it's really like !

cheers

John

I see you have a Rev-3 too, great minds.....

Anyway, what you say about your TL is encouraging. i'll propbably end up with a SM pipe or an extension with a silencer on mine.

I think once it's properly tuned and can breathe, it'll be OK.

Youre right - mines an 08 250 as well - great bike

It's taken me 33yrs to get a TL125 since I wanted one as a 10 year old..........and I love just looking at it now !!!!

The only additioon I think I'll make to the TL is a fabricated aluminium bash plate - more to protect the bike as I don't want to scratch it !! - Certainly my intention won't be to (deliberatley) throw it at rocks

cheers

John

Youre right - mines an 08 250 as well - great bike

It's taken me 33yrs to get a TL125 since I wanted one as a 10 year old..........and I love just looking at it now !!!!

The only additioon I think I'll make to the TL is a fabricated aluminium bash plate - more to protect the bike as I don't want to scratch it !! - Certainly my intention won't be to (deliberatley) throw it at rocks

cheers

John

Hey, that had a lot to do with swaying me into getting one. I always wanted one. Mines not nearly as nice as yours, WOW!!!!