Ty80 Questions.

pierre66

Hi all, just bought my son a ty80 and, as i`m new to these little stinkwheels, i have a couple of questions. i have looked on here for the petroil pre mix ratio and have found 40:1, 50:1 and 66:1, are these measurements in millilitres to litres? if they are i would have thought 25:1 or 35:1 would have been plenty when using modern oils, also, will sae 10 w 40 be ok in the gearbox as i can`t find any sae10 w 30 anywhere?

thanks in advance for any help. Pete.

40 : 1 etc refers to 1 part of oil to 40 parts of petrol.

I don't know the correct ratio for a ty80, but 32 : 1 for bike of this age if its a mineral oil.

If its semi synthetic oil 66 : 1 may be suitable, somebody will be along shortly to give you

a more precise answer.

As far as viscosity goes, SAE 10W40 will be OK in the gearbox.

The important thing with gearbox oil in wet clutch bikes is to avoid oils that contain friction modifiers or extreme pressure additives because they will cause the clutch to slip.

Edited by feetupfun

I run straight 40w oil in my sons ty80 with no clutch or shifting issues . And it runs fine on the same 70 to 1 ave gas and Amsoil Dominator synthetic premix I've been using in my fantic for a few years now . ( and I've forced the ty to take me up some long climbs with no problems pulling my extra weight ... Great little bikes !!!) And as FUF said above , read the label on the gear oil , NO trick slick stuff in the tranny !!! Or you'll be replacing the clutch discs before you know it ...

Glenn

"I usually use 50 to 1 mix chainsaw oil and have done for many years on various trials bikes. This makes it easy to mix 100ml to 1Litre and I have never had any problems. Hope this helps"

Hope I'm not being thick but when I was at school 100ml to 1 litre would have been a ratio of 10:1 - surely a 50:1 mix is 20ml per litre !!!

• 2 weeks later...