Ty175 Dies On Idle

ty_steve

Hey all,

New to trials, new to motorcycles... My recently pruchased 1976 Ty175 has been starting easily and running well for a week now, however the last two times out it stalled out as it idled to a warm up. I start it with the choke out, wait to it getys to a nice steady idle then pop the chke back in and get on my way. Now it barely gets to a steady idle then stalls, and will not start again. The last time this happened (or last time I got it started) I immeadiately pushed in the choke got it in gear and tried to keep it running under throttle. No luck though, it quickly died. Any ideas - i tried a new plug by no change....

Thanks

Sounds to me like it is short of fuel, check fuel line i.e. pull pipe off of carb end and check for plenty of flow, next step is strip and clean carb, probably dirt somewhere between fuel tank and getting into engine so you might have to systematically go through it. hope that helps a little.

almost certain to be on the carburation side - check the obvious first - is it fresh fuel, clean the air filter, check fuel delivery from the tap and through the fuel line, is there a filter in the tap ? check your choke isn't sticking then check your jets are clear especially the idle jet which is mostly used on low revs and check your float bowl level

fingers crossed

Tony

Definately sounds like one of the jets. Clean out the pilot jet especially well. If you've got an air compressor blow it out with air from that. If you haven't you may have to resort to more crude methods like using a bit of wire. I know people may slate me for saying using a bit of wire but we don't all have fully equipped workshops at our disposal. go delicately as the bore on some of these jets are tiny. If after you have cleaned up the carb and it is still not running unless the choke is on then it may be the crankseals are sucking air in and need replacing. Make sure your airbox isn't clogged up too. let me know how you get on.

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys - I was finally able to sort the problem out. After many carb tear-downs I discovered the float bowl needle was sticking. So I was getting fuel into the float bowl, but then the needle would stick once the bowl was full. I'd get the bike going until the fuel in the bowl was all used up and then get no more due to the stuck needle. Very annoying little situation...