Bultaco Sherpa T 125cc

gpalmer

Before Big John gets in on the act - A model 221 is a 175cc (which is good news as the 125 is very underpowered). There is a comparison article about them on the classic trial page here http://www.classictrial.co.uk/magtest.html.

They were produced in 1979 and only had 175cc engines in the UK (you can have a lot of arguments about this as all the model lists on the internet say the 221 is a 125).

If you need a new piston the skirt on some replacment pistons needs trimming to avoid fouling the crank at BDC.

I rebuilt one so if you have any queries just ask.

Edited by bultaco49

Thanks alot, this has been most helpful. My dad has just recently bought this as an incomplete project for me to restore. The previous owner had sprayed the frame white? Do you know what shade the blue paint is and possibly where i might get it?

Cheers

Gareth

Correct, the model 221 was a 175cc Sherpa aimed at the UK youth market in 1979. I bought a 325 mod 199A (still have it) that season and there is a photo on facebook of me sitting on my 325 with Grant Miller seated on a 175 model 221 with the correct alloy tank. Photo was taken at the Scottish Motorcycle Show as Grant; Graham Smith (SWM) and I were all sponsored by Robbie Allan through the Scottish Show (not a lot of people know that - they do now!)

The model 221 in the photo was bought by a guy called Ian Robertson and to my knowledge he still has it.

From memory, the model 221 motor was basically a 250cc Sherpa bottom end with a 175 barrel, piston and head fitted on top.

Big John

I would put the photo on here, but I can't for some reason!

Big John,you are right Ian still has the 175.I bought my 250 Sherpa from him but he is keeping hold of the 175 as it is quite rare.

Ian rides at some of our SCRMC trials on a modern Beta.He is a good friend of Alan Scott.

I have ridden the 175 a couple of years ago at a club trial,just a quick run through a couple of sections,it felt very smooth and easy to ride.

Edited by davieboy

Big John,you are right Ian still has the 175.I bought my 250 Sherpa from him but he is keeping hold of the 175 as it is quite rare.

Ian rides at some of our SCRMC trials on a modern Beta.He is a good friend of Alan Scott.

Actually, Ian Robertson and Alan Scott are cousins!

Big John