Enduro To Trials Rider Helmet Query...

ricts

Hello,

I've swapped sides and binned the enduro bike for a gasser... Hurrah!! I hear you shout.

The problem is I've now got a trials bike and a stack of enduro riding gear. I can make do with the boots for the mo' (though I have been advised that trials boots are like slippers in comparison) my query is helmets.

I have been told (by our enduro sec) that Trials can be ridden with a "safety helmet" which isn't necessarly an ACU stamped lid. I have a MX lid, which is pants for looking down, I also have a Bell safety helmet which is basically an open faced lid with minimal padding... it'd normally be used for downhill mountian biking type stuff, I got it for roller blading... in money terms it's a

I wouldn't be so sure on the safety helmet, use the full face first off then get a proper trials helmet- wulfsport ones seem to go for almost nothing on ebay

The leatt brace would be overkill along with roost guard/armour

Once you've tried trials boots I think you'll chuck your present ones in the garage & forget about them, no grip when footing

Camelbacks get used by lots of guys over here so I wouldn't think the UK would be much different

Turn up give it a go & have fun, thats what matters :huh:

After seeing trials in all types of clothing, anything goes really. Kevin's excellent ride round Clyro the other day was done shod in a pair of Dunlop safety wellies. The main thing is a good helmet and even the best (the likes of Neil Gaunt) are thankful for a good proper helmet, for when you hit you head on tree branches and the like.

As far as I can recall ACU rules say the helmet (for any trial) must be of a type approved for motorcycle use on the public highway in the UK hence no need for an ACU sticker. I will not comment on how well or otherwise this is enforced. A bicycle helmet, of any sort, will not have such approval.

Edited by 2/4

I think the proof of suitability for road use is the label stiched to the chinstrap ..it must (from memory) have E9 a date of manufacture on it . I know abroad scrutineering of helmets is quite strict ..must have "in date" label and look in good condition.. they then put on a little sticker with the countries federation mark or initials.

I think that you will find that you should wear a helmet with a silver ACU sticker to ride in ACU events, however this rule never seems to be enforced so don't worry about that.

Riders often turn up with mountain bike style lids and no one seems to even notice.

I personally would never wear a camel pack for trials unless it was a very long way around and a hot day, most events are multi laps and you can grab a drink each time ou go round if you need one.

The boots are the biggest draw back, you will find that you loose far too much dexterity (if you can have dexterity with your feet?) a pair of trials boots should be fairly near the top of your list.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Pete

Cheers for all of the replies...

I'll get myself a lid and keep and eye out for some trials boots on flea-bay. The Bell helmet I have is sound for a "glancing" blow such as what you'd get skateboarding, I wouldn't fancy a dead drop situation in it, also looking at my MX lid there are some scars on it where it's been smacked hard, but I've not realised.

As fo the MX boots, as I'm sure you're aware they're pretty much lock your feet in and you can stomp around in them like a storm trooper, I will have to defer buying those as I've just been given a "bill" from the IRS gov't again.... which will also take care of buying an Enduro bike again.. (only spare cash I had!)... but the Gasser is paid for & in the garage!!!.... glass half full I reckon!.

RTS

• 4 weeks later...