125... 250... Help Need Advice

Guest gasgastxtpro

Guest gasgastxtpro

Right,

The thing is my 02 gasser 125 pro, keeps dying out on me, has no bottom end power.

Im selling my bike due to this, and planning on getting a 250.

Surely this will have the bottom end power i need.

For example, a section:

Steep short drop down into river, turn at bottom of drop, over a few rocks, turn and up and out.

I did it all fine upuntil the up and out part, after going slow on low revs over the rocks when i clipped the throttle bakc it just died out on me.

Is it more cubic capacity that i need, or a mod on my 125??? :D:D:wacko::D

Any help greatly appreciated

Rich

Unless it was a massive climb out of the river, there must be something up with the bike or your technique,as the 125 is not short of power, Factory Kev did the northern experts on a 125.

Is there someone who can have a go on your bike and get there view or borrow another bike and try that section.

Guest gasgastxtpro

Thats exactly what i thought, but my dad is certain its just that its a 125:

"Look i know all the 125s are the same, theres just no bloody bottom end, what you need is a 250" :wacko:

Don't let anyone misguide you into thinking that a 125 is underpowered and no good for trials. If they were they wouldn't make them. A 125 GasGas will pull me fine (as will a 125 Scorpa) and I don't get any change out of 17 stone these days,so if it will pull my weight it has enough power for anything but the most serious of sections - ie; sections that are beyond most club riders ability regardless of the bike.

All you have to accept is that they haven't as much power as a 200/250 etc. so they have to be ridden accordingly - correct gear, choice of line etc. is more critical than on a bigger bike. On a bigger bike a handful of throttle in a bigger gear can get you out of trouble sure, but only if you are good enough to use it. Chances are that if you have got into that sort of mess in the first place you're not going to get out of it regardless.

Ross Danby, one of the top youth riders, is in our centre. He rides a 125 Pro and has no problems whatsoever. I've watched him in our trials. Does things on it that adults can't do on 250s, 280s, 290s 300s whatever. Never looks short on power. At club level, trials isn't about having loads of power anyway - if anything it is a hinderence, will get you into trouble and will cost you marks unless you know how to use it.

From what you've said it sounds like your bike has a problem as it shouldn't die when you snap the throttle. The biggest of engines will do that if something is wrong. As it is nigh on impossible to diagnose from descriptions as it could be anything, you're best bet is to take it to a local dealer who knows what they are doing, let them try the bike and ask their opinion - or even take a trip to Shirty's as I am sure they would be helpful and they have the ground to try the bike there, so should be able to reproduce your fault and diagnose it.

If I were you I'd try and sort the problem. Learn to ride a 125 well and you will be able to go on to ride anything after that. It will teach you to think about a section more, plan lines better, pick gears better and give you better throttle control in the long run - all of which are the essence of a good trials rider. Also save you money from changing bike for the wrong reason...... which is always a good thing :wacko:

Hope you get it sorted

Guest gasgastxtpro

Right, thanks for the advice, my dad has given way a bit now due to me making him read your responses.

One thing i can think of is, a mate was riding it a while back and said it was running too rich, he tuned the carb a little, could this stop so much fuel getting through?

Me dad says he will spend some time with it on sundee, thanks i hope it gets sorted too because i just dont want to move to a 250 just to find its too powerful :wacko:

Thanks

Rich

Thats exactly what i thought, but my dad is certain its just that its a 125:

"Look i know all the 125s are the same, theres just no bloody bottom end, what you need is a 250"  :wacko:

Ishy finished the 2002 SSDT on a Sherco 125 so it's not down to the bike.

post-2-1104267751.jpg

Guest gasgastxtpro

Thanks Andy.

Thing is my dad will look at it, but im not sure if he knows what to do to make the problem any better, i mean he's a mechanic has been all his life and i dont doubt his mechanical knowledge its certainly better than mine but any advice on what i should do would be great :wacko:

Rich

Edited by gasgastxtpro

Take it over to Whites al the spanner will sort it for you. Do you strip and clean your carb after you wash your bike? i notice it was wet in your pic and looks like you just washed it. it could be water in the carb bowl or air filter but this would run through after a while?

Has the bike always done this? i think you bought it from a dealer give them a ring and see if they will look at it for you

Under geniune reason for sale you need to put Doesn't run right :wacko:

Edited by windlestone

Guest gasgastxtpro

Well, me dad (i know he's coming up a lot!) said there was noting wrong mechanically its just because im too big for a 125.

PERCE the rule doesnt come in until 2006 does it, due to shortage of 125's on the second hand market.

Guest gasgastxtpro

In the picture i had just washed it yes.

I am servicing it on sunday and will clean the card and airfilter, although it has been done quite recently anyway.

If anyone knows the dealer i got it from TW bikesport, simply second hand they deal in new sherco's and beta's.

I should think they would have serviced it before they sold it to me and it had the problem since i got it, but it has just become more noticable recently.

Rich

Good point Dude I must have missed that one, I do find this a bit strange seeing as though someone I know had a fair bit of difficulty shifting his 04 125 on recently. I still think you should be sticking with a 125 however, get it properly fettled by someone who knows how a trials bike works & your Dad will save a load of money in the long run.