Ethonal-free Gasoline

harvey_mushman

Hello all,

I've got a '77 Bultaco Sherpa T 350. It has a fiberglass tank. I'm concerned with putting ethanol-based gasoline in the tank. I've been told by several people and read that the ethanol dissolves the fiberglass resin causing the tank to weep fuel over time. I've also read online regarding concerns about its solvents. As far as I am able to research, all Ontario pump gas contains at least 10 % ethanol by law.

I've got several takes on preventing this but was hoping to gage your opinions on the subject.

1. Tank was "sealed" by previous owner using an unknown chemical. The "Kreem" tank sealer website states that it may not be compatible with some fiberglass tanks. Any suggestions on an appropriate sealer or treatment technique?

2. My local MX performance shop sells race fuel. The fuel contains no ethanol. It is also lead-based. The trade off is that the fuel is over $100 taxes in for a 20L pail ($5/L). I plan on riding as frequently as possible, maybe 1 to 2 weeks a month. This route could get very expensive.

3. I'm 2-1/2 hours from the Buffalo border. A cross border fuel run is not out of question but really inconvenient. Plus I am not certain on what type of fuel is available across the border anyway.

I appreciate any opinions you may have.

Matt

As Bob stated use Shell premium (try and find a dedicated pump or put the first few liters into your car before filling the jerry can)

Esso premium is my first choice.

Avoid all Sunoco fuels same with Pioneer stations.

Blends with ethanol are suppose to be posted on the pump as such but???? Shell and Esso your good with the 91 premium

Beyond that race gas

Or you can find a local small airport and buy ave. gas ... Leaded , no ethanol , high octane rating , and you can store it almost indefinitely ...

More expensive than pump premium , but cheaper than race fuel .

Works great for me !

Glenn

Thanks for the reply guys. I went to check out the Shell we have a couple blocks away only to find it closed and underconstruction.

I try to never leave fuel in the tanks of my non-road-going bikes just to avoid any possible issue with the fuel going bad or leaking between uses.

Thanks for the input,

Matt

• 1 year later...

• 6 months later...