Brake Disk Destroyed?

neonsurge

After a quick inspection I decided that my rear brake pads, while badly worn, had just one more event left in them. They didn't. Yep, it was a dumbass thing to do and after two extremely wet and muddy laps it was metal on metal time. Even more foolishly I pushed on and finished the event with an increasingly vague and noisy rear brake.

Inevitably, the brake disk is now badly scratched although surprisingly, there aren't the deep gouges that I expected to find. If I simply chuck a new set of pads in there am I asking for more trouble other than an accelerated wear rate?

done the same on my mont acouple of years ago ,all i did was take disc off wheel put it on a solid flat surface and give it a very carefull cleanup with a fine grad emery paper. I also noticed that on closer inspection some of the gouges were actually metal added by the backing plate !. at any rate iwould say that the pads don't wear any faster than before and the disc smoothes out when bike is ridden.

Clean the disc as best you can with a sheet of fine emery on a flat surface then fit some new pads and thoroughly bed them in. The pads will settle into the disc profile and braking efficiency should'nt be compromised much at all.

Done just the same to my bike a couple of months ago, really scoured the rear disc.

So replaced with new disc and pads, a very expensive trial, i now carry spare pads.

Funny thing though, i set a better score on the last loop !

Gaff.

Just a thought.....

Wont it mean that the more scored the disk ,after bedding the pads in,there will be more surface area in contact with each other resulting in better breaking :wacko:

thats what I`ve been telling myself for months :D

its only a thought anyway.....

regards

N

Just a thought.....

Wont it mean that the more scored the disk ,after bedding the pads in,there will be more surface area in contact with each other resulting in better breaking  :wacko:

thats what I`ve been telling myself for months  :D

its only a thought anyway.....

regards

N

If you apply the same force, (i.e. press the brake pedal just as hard) then friction is not dependent on the surface area.