More Crazy Ideas!

dan williams

Next is a Hydraulic drive. Remove the gear box and fit a hydraulic pump. For the rear hub fit a hydraulic motor with some spokes. The hydraulic fluid moves through a couple of tubes so there is no chain to get all messy. Now the complex bit - you will need to be able to get max revs at slow speeds as well as high speeds. Like we can now. So we'll need a variable pullie (as in a CV gear box) system to the change the input to the pump. Or something (nice vague ending there)

Ralphy

like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUPZiuMviGU

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. Somewhat like that. Some clever french bugger made that. From what i remember the front wheel drive was from an accessory hydraulic pump he mounted to the front sprocket. We could use that front hub though!

Edited by NZRalphy

Talking of crazy ideas, just saw a 4 door 911 Porche.

Thought I was having a daymare !

Like this:-Porsche ?????

You know , I was on Facebook the other day and all I typed was : ''I can't wait for the new 911'' ....and now all these Arabs and various Western Security Services want to contact me?? :rolleyes:

Getting back to the crank speed/position measurement, a multitooth (somewhere between 4 and 20 teeth) trigger wheel with an inductive pickup will do the job. As trials engines don't reve very high, you don't need much proccessing power to measure the trigger pulses. You could make something using a Pic (Microchip.COM) or similar.

I have forgotton what we are trying to achieve here, not sure I ever knew!

Yea, Jon, I seem to recall the old Yam's as in DT 125, 175 not sure about 250, using the generator as starting motor! :rolleyes:

Hey, Mark!

I think the topic is "crazy ideas". The medication has helped a lot in that area for me.....;)

Pretty sure it was before the DT era. I'm not much of an electrical guy, but I wonder, could the

alternator possibly be used as a starter motor?

Jon

Hey, Mark!

I think the topic is "crazy ideas". The medication has helped a lot in that area for me.....;)

Pretty sure it was before the DT era. I'm not much of an electrical guy, but I wonder, could the

alternator possibly be used as a starter motor?

Jon

An alternator will not work as a starting motor, but a generator will, and has. As far as I know, this is still used as a starter and generator on jet engines. Not really sure how many bikes before early-mid '70's had electric start really. My 305 Honda Scrambler did not, but the Dream may have! :rolleyes:

One of the strangest things I ever worked on was a OLD Harley Davidson two stroke golf cart ... A buddy of mine in Lake Arrowhead owns it .

Generator is the starter and achieves reverse by stopping the motor and restarting it backwards ... All automatically at the throw of a lever after the cart has come to a stop . Gear train included a electro/mechanical centrifical clutch feeding a large torque converter (aka snowmobile size) ,that would apply drive power and also stop the crank rotation to change directions ... I got to rewire it from scratch (without a schematic !)

after agreeing to the task late on a friday nite and too many beers. It only took me about 6 months of spare time and alot of phone calls to my Dad ... (retired electrical engineer...) who said I was nuts to even try to make it work again . Quite the ingenious layout of Large diodes and relays , 2 battery's (one neg.ground and the other pos.ground ) Just proved to me that some engineers had way too much time on their hands and access to some really good hallucinogens ...

But after it got working and painted with trick alloy wheels and such , it was a show stopper !

Glenn