Mot Req?

marky g

Taking my ty175 for an MOT Wednsday, it's been a while, but from what I can recall you need:

Chain Guard

Cont Sounding Horn

And a Speedo

Right???

Now I've got no Speedo so I've gone off and bought a cycle speedo, a wireless type, looks quite good and it works........ but will it be enough to pass??

Has anybody else 'got away' with a cycle speedo?

Cheers

Edited by Marky G

Yup, checked this with a MOtester friend, no speedo in the MOT but a legal requirement for the road, strange ??

No reason why a cycle speedo shouldn't be OK, the Beta Techno used to have a wired one. I used a Cateye Wireless on my Mont, trouble is the coil/CDI interfered with it ;)

Looking for decent links to the actual testers manual on line but not finding much. This bloke has his own guide which has some interesting bits, especially regarding brake lights. All new bikes need two forms of brake lights - front and rear brake. Indicators if lights are fitted also.

Doesn't apply to yours though. Looks like chain guard is required, horn also. No mention of speedo.

MOT Requirements in laymans terms

Horn, registration plate and brake light seem to be the only tricky ones. Can't see much else in there.

It passed ;)

No speedo was fitted

Put a reflector on for good measure (never said if it was needed though)

An electric horn (battery one from Halfords)

And a Chain Guard

That was it!

BS:

No brake light was needed (I suppose you should use the old flapping arm when slowing down?)

No registration plate needed either, they go off your frame #

Now off to the local DVLA office in the morn to get a 1976 number plate :ph34r:

Now off to the local DVLA office in the morn to get a 1976 number plate ;)

Have you have got proof of the bike'a age from what DVLA consider a legitimate source before you go for the age related plate. This is normally the importer or in this case Yamaha UK, or they also accept dating certificate from the Vintage Motorcycle club.

Without the proof they will only put it on a Q plate.

Apologies if you already know this - just wouldn't want you to have a wasted trip.

:ph34r:

Well done Marky G!

Join the army of legal bike riders!

1976 will that be a P reg or an R? They usually give you the suffix as if the bike was registered on 1st January. My RTL is an 1988 so it got an E prefix as if it was 1/1/1988.

Cheers...

Big John

PS - Second hand speedo for sale little use! Contact Marky G  :hl:

John, I'll pop the speedo on ebay and see if I can double the price I paid for it ;)

WOODY

Have you have got proof of the bike'a age from what DVLA consider a legitimate source before you go for the age related plate. This is normally the importer or in this case Yamaha UK, or they also accept dating certificate from the Vintage Motorcycle club.

Without the proof they will only put it on a Q plate.

Apologies if you already know this - just wouldn't want you to have a wasted trip.

Cheers for that Woody, yes I've got an age related cert off Yamaha UK (thats how I know it's a 76).............. wasn't that the really hot summer?

Edited by Marky G